is the sunlight power received by a certain area on earth dependent on slope of the area

Anmtan

T further we go north or south (increase in absolute latitude), the temperature drops right. They say this is because the sunlight falls at a greater slant as you go towards poles. So does that mean that the temperature is related to the latitude or the slope (derivative) of that latitude point?

The solar power received at difference latitude is different. At more polar latitudes, the same amount of sunlight is spread over a greater area. It's not exactly the derivative since derivative means at a single point but the power depends on the area. 

slide_4.jpg

• Like 2

Hey kw0573, thanks for your help. 

I got one question. Is there a formula (or can we derive it) to model how the intensity varies with the latitude (slant). For example, if I have, say 2 Watts/sq.m of intensity at equator, do u know how i can derive the a function to calculate what the power will be at say 45 deg. latitude north?

On 2/3/2017 at 11:54 PM, Anmtan said:

Hey kw0573, thanks for your help. 

I got one question. Is there a formula (or can we derive it) to model how the intensity varies with the latitude (slant). For example, if I have, say 2 Watts/sq.m of intensity at equator, do u know how i can derive the a function to calculate what the power will be at say 45 deg. latitude north?

It is in fact a very simple trig relationship. Assume the angle that the slant makes with the horizontal is θ. In this case we assume at equator the sun shines the ground at θ=90º. As you go north (more slanted), the angle θ decreases, which means the cosine of this angle will also decrease, so the amount of sunlight projected onto the more slanted ground becomes fewer.