Choosing IB subject for University

ravenclawib

Hi, so this week i have to choose my IB subjects and i have a real dilemma so could you please help me? I want to study law or psychology in England, I was thinking about oxford (but it is kind of idealistic) or UCL (also idealistic). So right know i am thinking about choosing

Biology/ Chemistry HL (not sure which i prefer)

Psychology HL

History HL

Math SL

Spanish SL

English A SL

but i am afraid that it will be too hard. Other option is

Biology/ Chemistry HL (not sure which i prefer)

Psychology HL

English B HL

Math SL

Polish A SL

History SL

this way it would be easier for me to have this required 38 points. But i really want to take english A and spanish. So what do you think? Which option should i choose? And biology or chemistry? If i will choose option number one will i manage or i will die? Just generally please give me your thoughts about all of it. 

Option A seems better on the basis that it has English A, something I beleive UK Unis may either require or appreciate more, perhaps even at HL. By taking both Psych and History HL, you are keeping your options open. As for Bio vs. Chem, which one are you better at? Have you take them in Y9-10? Bio HL is known for being the 'easiest' of sciences, but it really depends on you. It's a stretch, but maybe biology will help you in relation to psychology :D Also, don't focus solely on oxbridge or UCL etc, cus there are so many great unis in the UK! Definitely look around, compare courses, location, finance :) 

hope I could help!

Edited by nbortfeld

UK universities don't require English A. There's no need to take it, unless you want to, and English B gets you an easy 6 or a 7. I got into Oxford Law with English B HL. 

Both options look good, with option 1 probably marginally better (History is a good choice for law). 

When it comes to choosing between Biology and Chemistry, unless your chosen universities have a preference, simply go with what you feel more confident with. Biology will be more memorisation, Chemistry more logic, but neither is exactly easy at HL (nothing is easy at HL), so play to your strengths. 

• Like 1