Hello! I'm a tenth-grade student planning on doing the IBDP for my junior and senior year. As we are beginning our second semester soon, we are required to pick out our subjects for IB. I had a couple of concerns as when I told people about the subjects I'm intending to take, they said I would face a hard time. I'm hoping to study engineering at university, hopefully, either chemical and biomolecular engineering. I'm also hoping to get into a top university as it would help me so much! The subjects I'm planning on doing are;

-Physics HL

-Math HL

-Chemistry HL

-Economics HL

-English A Lit SL

-Arabic B SL

As you can see I really don't want to spend time on languages and I clearly want to focus on sciences and maths. If you have any concerns or advice I could use, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Edited by Salman

Your subject choices are pretty solid. There's just 2 concerns I have:

1. 4 HLs is brutal, and you picked literally the 3 hardest ones (math, chem and physics). If anything, drop Econ to SL especially if you don't like essays

2. Look at university requirements for biomolecular/biological engineering. Some will require you to know biology. Either apply to universities that do not have this requirement, or make a plan to get the credits you need. Or, just apply to chemical engineering programs.

Otherwise you're pretty good!

1 minute ago, VeronicaG said:

Your subject choices are pretty solid. There's just 2 concerns I have:

1. 4 HLs is brutal, and you picked literally the 3 hardest ones (math, chem and physics). If anything, drop Econ to SL especially if you don't like essays

2. Look at university requirements for biomolecular/biological engineering. Some will require you to know biology. Either apply to universities that do not have this requirement, or make a plan to get the credits you need. Or, just apply to chemical engineering programs.

Otherwise you're pretty good!

A lot of the programs require physics and chemistry and math mainly, and I haven't encountered any major that really requires biology. I still think that there may be some university classes I can take to make up credit for it. Anyways, about the 4 HL's, I was actually thinking of keeping Econ as there isn't a big jump from Econ SL to HL, but I have it there in case I drop any other HL I have. Thank you, though!

Looks like you've done your research! 

My only other comment would be that some top engineering schools require math/physics/chem at higher level, and if you drop to SL in one of those courses, some schools may be out of reach. Again, every university is different but just be aware of their prerequisites.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, VeronicaG said:

Looks like you've done your research! 

My only other comment would be that some top engineering schools require math/physics/chem at higher level, and if you drop to SL in one of those courses, some schools may be out of reach. Again, every university is different but just be aware of their prerequisites.

Good luck!

Yeah, this is why I'm trying to see what universities require. Though, some US universities don't really make it clear to what is required, so it becomes difficult. Again, thank you!

If you apply to UK, many unis may require Physics HL, but just in US/Canada they don't really care about SL/HL. Since IB Physics is algebra-based, SL is enough of an exposure. I would say keep Econ HL and leave Physics to SL if 4 HLs were to become difficult. Remember that your overall score is what's valued in almost every uni, so you definitely don't want to spend too little time and effort in English and Arabic. 

Hi! 
I take virtually the same subjects as you (or at least maths, physics and chem) and I personally think it's going really well. You really, really do have to consider what grades you are getting right now though. If you find these subjects easy peasy you should be fine but otherwise it probably will be quite a bit of work. Btw it's a really good idea to take 4 HLs in the beginning because then if you find out that you can't manage/don't like on of your HLs you can drop it (I don't recommend keeping 4HLs for the actual exams though (though this is incredibly hypocritical as I'm thinking about doing it 'cause I don't wanna upset my english teacher through switching to SL hahaha)). 
Anyways, good luck! :)  I think your combination sounds fab (provided that you're fairly good at these subjects that is). 

On 2/3/2017 at 11:16 PM, kw0573 said:

If you apply to UK, many unis may require Physics HL, but just in US/Canada they don't really care about SL/HL. Since IB Physics is algebra-based, SL is enough of an exposure. I would say keep Econ HL and leave Physics to SL if 4 HLs were to become difficult. Remember that your overall score is what's valued in almost every uni, so you definitely don't want to spend too little time and effort in English and Arabic. 

Yeah, but I'm currently taking Physics and it's one of my favorite subjects and I'm doing really well. So I thought I'd do it at HL, but thank you for the useful information!

On 2/4/2017 at 0:55 AM, alexalexalex said:

Hi! 
I take virtually the same subjects as you (or at least maths, physics and chem) and I personally think it's going really well. You really, really do have to consider what grades you are getting right now though. If you find these subjects easy peasy you should be fine but otherwise it probably will be quite a bit of work. Btw it's a really good idea to take 4 HLs in the beginning because then if you find out that you can't manage/don't like on of your HLs you can drop it (I don't recommend keeping 4HLs for the actual exams though (though this is incredibly hypocritical as I'm thinking about doing it 'cause I don't wanna upset my english teacher through switching to SL hahaha)). 
Anyways, good luck! :)  I think your combination sounds fab (provided that you're fairly good at these subjects that is). 

I agree, I don't think having 4 HL's would be ideal, but many of the people I know said Econ HL is only like 2 more extra topics and they have one more exam which is completely math (which I'm fairly good at) But I guess if any subject does become difficult I will drop. Yes, the subjects I take at HL, I also currently take and I'm doing well in them! (Except, I don't take economics this year and I never have)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking the following and am surviving haha :)

HL Maths

HL Biology

HL English A

HL History

SL Chinese B

SL Art 

SL Economics (it's a blended AP/IB class so I'm testing both in IB and AP)

Taking 4 HLs isn't terrible, given that my art class is taught at an HL level (blended HL and SL course and I'm testing SL).  I'm involved in a TON of extracurricular activities and have high predicted scores, so I wouldn't worry about the courseload!  Just be ready to work your tail off to get high marks.  Any uni would be happy to have a stellar IB student so don't fret!