DP Class Choices.

RaddChloe

Hello, I am new in this community and I soon will be entering the DP. I have a projected list of classes that I find interested in although I want a second opinion on the classes and the SL/HL options I will be choosing. If you don't mind, I would like your advice because you guys are in (or veterans of) the MYP/DP program. Here are my choices:

SL: Visual Art (Should I take art if I don't think I'll pursue it later in life?)

SL: Spanish

SL: Math Studies (Math is not my favorite)

HL: English and Literature ( Best subject) 

HL: Chemistry ( Not my favorite but I like it more than Bio)

HL: Psych (Little experience but seems interesting)

If you have any pieces of advice or opinions it would help me greatly if you commented. Thank you!     :nicole:  

Choose subjects you're good at and that you actually like. Do research into Psychology (not extensively, but a bit so you actually know what it's about) before you choose it as a subject, let alone at Higher Level. I'm doing English Language and Literature, and it's a lot, but if it's your best subject, you should be good. I have friends who had little to no previous experience of studying English Literature at the level we're doing it at (or at all), and they're doing perfectly fine. 

If you have no interest in Math, please opt for Math Studies unless you absolutely need it later in life. You'll save yourself time and stress, because there is a massive gap between Math SL and Math Studies. 

I can't talk too much about Chemistry, but from what I know from friends, it's hard, and I wouldn't go for it unless you need it for university/love it. 

In the context of your SL subjects, it doesn't matter too much whether you'll choose it later in life or not, because most people typically have one subject (or multiple) that's not related to what they want to pursue in life later on. If you like art, go for it. 

But yeah, choose subjects you're good at and that you love, because intensively studying subjects you don't like at the extensive level that IB requires is actual suicide if you're not fond of them.

Edited by beth-

Doing Art as an SL course that you don't think will apply to your career in later life, but because you want to take it because you enjoy art is absolutely fine. IB isn't a convent, you know, you can have some fun.

At my school, Math Studies SL and Math SL are very similar in course content. I don't know anything about the IB syllabus differences, but in contrast to beth-, I would advise extreme caution in choosing Math Studies and would recommend Math SL except in extreme cases. It might be unfair, but most universities (those that consider IB scores) will raise an eyebrow and question a student choosing Math Studies, and it can be prohibitive if you want to do anything related to math.

You won't go wrong with English Lit HL and it's usually expected here in the U.S.

I'd recommend that you do more research about Psych. You should really be passionate about your HL's, as that will make for a good two years. If you decide that it's a good fit, fantastic; if not, then you can choose something else you'll enjoy.

On 2/3/2017 at 4:34 PM, Nomenclature said:

Doing Art as an SL course that you don't think will apply to your career in later life, but because you want to take it because you enjoy art is absolutely fine. IB isn't a convent, you know, you can have some fun.

At my school, Math Studies SL and Math SL are very similar in course content. I don't know anything about the IB syllabus differences, but in contrast to beth-, I would advise extreme caution in choosing Math Studies and would recommend Math SL except in extreme cases. It might be unfair, but most universities (those that consider IB scores) will raise an eyebrow and question a student choosing Math Studies, and it can be prohibitive if you want to do anything related to math.

You won't go wrong with English Lit HL and it's usually expected here in the U.S.

I'd recommend that you do more research about Psych. You should really be passionate about your HL's, as that will make for a good two years. If you decide that it's a good fit, fantastic; if not, then you can choose something else you'll enjoy.

Thank you so much for your advice!

On 2/3/2017 at 9:17 AM, beth- said:

Choose subjects you're good at and that you actually like. Do research into Psychology (not extensively, but a bit so you actually know what it's about) before you choose it as a subject, let alone at Higher Level. I'm doing English Language and Literature, and it's a lot, but if it's your best subject, you should be good. I have friends who had little to no previous experience of studying English Literature at the level we're doing it at (or at all), and they're doing perfectly fine. 

If you have no interest in Math, please opt for Math Studies unless you absolutely need it later in life. You'll save yourself time and stress, because there is a massive gap between Math SL and Math Studies. 

I can't talk too much about Chemistry, but from what I know from friends, it's hard, and I wouldn't go for it unless you need it for university/love it. 

In the context of your SL subjects, it doesn't matter too much whether you'll choose it later in life or not, because most people typically have one subject (or multiple) that's not related to what they want to pursue in life later on. If you like art, go for it. 

But yeah, choose subjects you're good at and that you love, because intensively studying subjects you don't like at the extensive level that IB requires is actual suicide if you're not fond of them.

Thanks for your advice, I am interested in either Chemistry or Environmental Science if I can trade a SL class!