Can the IB detect plagiarism where you have just changed a few words?

heintze

I have used many ideas in my English A written task from other opinion columns. I'm afraid if I cite the sources,  the examiner might think that my WT is not original and take away a few marks. For example, if someone had written " Have you ever seen a crying baby? Babies are aware.." Then I would write "If you have ever seen a baby crying, you will notice that babies are aware ....". Is this plagiarism? I am using the exact same ideas but just chaning the words a little. Can the examiners detect this? And what would happen if they find the opinion columns I have used?

• 2 weeks later...

The IB just got a new software that checks if you've taken information from other sources without citing it.  So, what I would recommend doing is not doing a direct in-text citation but write your rewording of the phrase and then, after the sentence/paragraph, do a parenthetical citation with the last name of the author.  It's not plagiarism, but I'd still recommend citing your sources if you've used ideas from other places.  They'd probably be able to find the columns if the software picks up on it, but tbh the examiners aren't going to go on a Google hunt to find out about one person's paper (the graders read hundreds of papers and aren't going to do that for everyone).