Do you think that my IB subjects are okay to apply to good universities in the USA (law)

I have chosen these IB subjects, and now I am thinking that some of them, such as Geography HL and ESS SL are too weak....IDK. I wanted to change them on Biology SL and History HL, but it was too late. Do you think that my subjects are fine to apply to prestigious universities if I get very good grades on them?

English B HL 

Geography HL

Economics HL

Maths SL

ESS SL

Russian A SL

If you look at mine, they are not so different. I also attend ESS, Economics and English B. I also thought about switching for weaker and more appealing subjects such as Bio or Chem instead of ESS, but it also depends upon your ambitions. From what I can see on your IB curriculum, you are not a natural sciences aspirant, right? Don't worry, ESS, instead of puny and kinda irrelevant, gives you enough bases as a scientific subject. What I would switch would be Geography, thats like ESS or even worse, for History. But obviously that depends on your interests and if you feel like Geography can give you top marks, then keep it, because History, and moreover HL, is a very rigorous subject, not that it is very hard, but it is an extensive subject and less padronised, which makes it less granted that you ll get top marks (in my case, i am striving for the 6 HL, obv I am also aiming the 7 but if you look at the percentage of 7s taken in HL it doesn't even reach 7. A few of my friends who take Chem and History say Chem can be considered to be harder, but still easier to get a 7 than history. This means it is easier in history to have medium-high grades like 4, 5s (even 6s), but way harder to garner the 7. There are, unfortunately, subjects like that.

As to the rest, Economics is very good, prestigious (you even have it HL which even values your curriculum more) and "easy" to get top marks, if you really work hard and engage with the subject. Unlike history it is more padronised and if you get its method you can get it.

But like I said, if you ask me: do subjects make such a difference that it is better to choose stronger and more reputable subjects but conversely get lower grades (imagine 32/34) than a person who has "puny" subjects but gets 36/38 points? No, definitely, thats why I told you if you are feeling confident with the subjects, and you actually nurture some interest, keep those. Grades are more important than the subjects. It will be a matter of how you value, in your personal statement or some written way of expression college demands you, the subjects you took. Exhibit A: check my curriculum. I am actually applying to IE Univ (one of the 10 best univ in the world) and have been accepted so far in 4/5 univ in the uk such as lancaster univ, surrey, warwick and kent; the only one who hasn't replied to my application was edinburgh, but they only usually reply around march so...

Dont worry, grow and prosper!

Richard  

18 minutes ago, Richard Stifler said:

If you look at mine, they are not so different. I also attend ESS, Economics and English B. I also thought about switching for weaker and more appealing subjects such as Bio or Chem instead of ESS, but it also depends upon your ambitions. From what I can see on your IB curriculum, you are not a natural sciences aspirant, right? Don't worry, ESS, instead of puny and kinda irrelevant, gives you enough bases as a scientific subject. What I would switch would be Geography, thats like ESS or even worse, for History. But obviously that depends on your interests and if you feel like Geography can give you top marks, then keep it, because History, and moreover HL, is a very rigorous subject, not that it is very hard, but it is an extensive subject and less padronised, which makes it less granted that you ll get top marks (in my case, i am striving for the 6 HL, obv I am also aiming the 7 but if you look at the percentage of 7s taken in HL it doesn't even reach 7. A few of my friends who take Chem and History say Chem can be considered to be harder, but still easier to get a 7 than history. This means it is easier in history to have medium-high grades like 4, 5s (even 6s), but way harder to garner the 7. There are, unfortunately, subjects like that.

As to the rest, Economics is very good, prestigious (you even have it HL which even values your curriculum more) and "easy" to get top marks, if you really work hard and engage with the subject. Unlike history it is more padronised and if you get its method you can get it.

But like I said, if you ask me: do subjects make such a difference that it is better to choose stronger and more reputable subjects but conversely get lower grades (imagine 32/34) than a person who has "puny" subjects but gets 36/38 points? No, definitely, thats why I told you if you are feeling confident with the subjects, and you actually nurture some interest, keep those. Grades are more important than the subjects. It will be a matter of how you value, in your personal statement or some written way of expression college demands you, the subjects you took. Exhibit A: check my curriculum. I am actually applying to IE Univ (one of the 10 best univ in the world) and have been accepted so far in 4/5 univ in the uk such as lancaster univ, surrey, warwick and kent; the only one who hasn't replied to my application was edinburgh, but they only usually reply around march so...

Dont worry, grow and prosper!

Richard  

Hey Richard,

Thanks for you reply. Are you sure that grades matter more than subjects? I actually chose these easier subjects with a goal of getting 7 in most of them. However, now, I am very pissed off with myself because I didn't choose rigorous subjects that I could still do well in. As an example, I am totally okay with Biology, I don't like Chemistry or Physics, but I do not consider myself as totally "not scientific person'" But looking at my IB subjects now, it seems like I am. In secondary school - MYP, I got all 7, including science, and history. I know that IB is more difficult than MYP, but I really do think I could get a 6 in History and 7 in Biology SL. 

I am not sure whether I need to switch geography now, because I want to get a 7 in it. And it is kind of too late. However, I wanted to change ESS to Biology, but teachers said that as they are my SL subjects, it doesn't really matter what it is ESS or Biology for law. 

I am not sure what to do, because every day when I walk to school I think of how more confident I would feel with History HL and Biology SL. (not feeling like I am stupid or something)

So what do you think is better not to change anything and try hard to get 40 + points with these ones, as well as to focus more on SAT and LSAT. Or switch and learn everything that my class had covered so far?