Debate: Good for ToK presentation?

Aether

A few hours ago I presented my ToK final presentation. Since I showed my teacher the outline, she said she feared it was way too descriptive so I decided to make it a debate between my whole IB group. Regardless of the result, and the way you control the group, is this a good idea for presenting in ToK or should you stick to the conventional powerpoint presentation? My knowledge issue was: What role do social class, gender and culture play in language?

[quote name='xsandralee' post='28736' date='Nov 20 2008, 09:04 AM']hmm, now i'm confused.
what do you mean by: presenting in TOK or sticking to the conventional ppt?
don't you have to present either way?[/quote]

What I mean by this is that in my school at least, whenever they ask us to do a ToK presentation everyone always does Powerpoint slides with the info. However, this is not the only option. We can do a song, a sketch, a play anything that you can present to a class. However, all of the things I just mentioned have a lot of disadvantages, and I was asking if anybody thinks that using a debate has a really mayor one.

A debate is better as long as you keep the audience interested. The fear with powerpoints is that the audience loses interest pretty quickly therefore you're bound to lose some points there, even if your powerpoint is factually correct and TOK appropriate. I always think debated fare better, as long as you sum it up with a short powerpoint that displays your pros and cons for the topic.

• 4 weeks later...

For our school, a presentation beforehand is obligatory.

A presentation i think is much more controllable and you can develop your ideas in depth while in a improvised debate, you might stumble across interesting topics, you most of the time people might just spurt out random things that pop up in their heads, so the discussion might not run really deep and might even wander onto other topics.

Overall, presentation recommended.

I think it depends on what your topic is. Some topics may be more understandable when presented as skits and interviews, whereas others may need the more structured powerpoint form. Really opinionated ones, like ethics or arts based are good for debates.

For my first presentation I focused on 'How do we know when something is evil' and that was really good for discussion and debate, but for my second topic 'How do we know that peace exists' it was REALLY philosophical, so I made slides that highlighted the main points for people to understand.

It's really just about feeling comfortable in your mode of presentation, getting the message across, challenging predisposed opinions and coming to some justified conclusion. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on your class,
when I tried to get my class to participate in a debate they just didn't seem interested,
about half of them are Japanese and didn't really understand the topic (taxation without representation, my bad for not explaining it well),
and the rest really didn't have a strong opinion, needless to say it was a catastrophe.

• 2 weeks later...