Bio HL and Chem HL too much?

sakldjfhg

Hi! I'm in desperate need of some recommendations and critique on my possible IB schedule for the nest two years. My schedule is due February 15th, so I need good answers soon, please! 

Okay, so I'm in the 10th grade at a college-prep-based school. It requires IB on all of its students, so I obviously have to take IB. Here are some things about me so you can have the best idea of what's best for me. I love math, though I'm not the best at it. I took Algebra 2 in one semester, and I'm currently taking Trigonometry this quarter and Pre-Calculus next quarter. With that high speed, I've held a B, so I'm not worried about Math SL (which is what my math teacher recommended). I'm wanting to go to college for engineering, computer science, or something related to that. Chemistry is pretty interesting and I've held a B for the last semester and this quarter. I absolutely hate history. It can be interesting at times, but I have never been good at it, and I don't want to do a class that I would suffer through for 2 years straight. When I write essays (English and history) I mostly only get C's. Okay so here is my schedule I'm wanting to have.

English HL (won't change because my school requires this)

Biology HL (prefer not to change)

Chemistry HL

Math SL (recommended by teacher and usually they know best for the student)

Computer Science SL (this and Psychology SL are super popular so I may need a different SL option as an alternate for both) 

Psychology SL

I'm also wanting to do AP Physics because most engineering schools almost expect this.. or so I've heard?

My questions are:

Is taking Bio HL and Chem HL at the same time hard?

Does History HL sound hard for me? Because if Bio and Chem is hard together, I'll need to drop Chem HL for History HL or Art/Music/Dance HL, which do not interest me.

If I enjoy Trig/Math, will I enjoy Physics? 

Thanks so much!! I will take as much info as possible:))

5 minutes ago, sakldjfhg said:

Is taking Bio HL and Chem HL at the same time hard?

I mean you have to take 3 HLs regardless and there's really no easy 3HL combo unless you are bilingual and take 2 language HLs. 

6 minutes ago, sakldjfhg said:

Does History HL sound hard for me? Because if Bio and Chem is hard together, I'll need to drop Chem HL for History HL or Art/Music/Dance HL, which do not interest me.

If you are bad at writing, History HL can pose a problem because the exams are essay-based, not multiple choice/true-false questions. The course emphasizes argumentative and persuasive writing. I haven't heard many people considering Biology HL to be harder than History HL, but Chemistry HL and History HL are about equal difficulty. 

9 minutes ago, sakldjfhg said:

If I enjoy Trig/Math, will I enjoy Physics? 

I think (hope) you will. High school physics is about turning principles into equations and solve for the unknown.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

I mean you have to take 3 HLs regardless and there's really no easy 3HL combo unless you are bilingual and take 2 language HLs. 

If you are bad at writing, History HL can pose a problem because the exams are essay-based, not multiple choice/true-false questions. The course emphasizes argumentative and persuasive writing. I haven't heard many people considering Biology HL to be harder than History HL, but Chemistry HL and History HL are about equal difficulty. 

I think (hope) you will. High school physics is about turning principles into equations and solve for the unknown.

Thanks so much!!

In my opinion Bio and Chem HL are hard but I don't see a way for you to change it unless you want to do something you probably hate more. HL Bio is just a lot of memorization so if you're good at that you should be fine. HL Chem is fine too if you like the topic. If not, you might die.

As for the physics, this is just my personal experience and opinion, but take it how you please:

I LOVE math and trig and am pretty good at it compared to the average joe. I HATE physics. It's literally ruining my life. Like, I'm only in academic physics at my school, so its not AP or IB or anything... It's pretty much the lowest level of academics offered at my school. It's my hardest course. It's the course I work hardest in, and it's my lowest mark. Legit ruining my life lol. But if you enjoy word problems and have a knack for solving puzzles you'll probably enjoy physics. Just keep in mind it's not memorization like Biology, but more applying your previous and new knowledge in many ways. 

Good luck! I believe in u!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asdfghjkl1234567890 said:

I LOVE math and trig and am pretty good at it compared to the average joe. I HATE physics. It's literally ruining my life. Like, I'm only in academic physics at my school, so its not AP or IB or anything... It's pretty much the lowest level of academics offered at my school. It's my hardest course. It's the course I work hardest in, and it's my lowest mark. Legit ruining my life lol. But if you enjoy word problems and have a knack for solving puzzles you'll probably enjoy physics. Just keep in mind it's not memorization like Biology, but more applying your previous and new knowledge in many ways. 

There's a good chance I'm from the same province as you. Our physics SL teacher told us that SL is generally subpar to the provincial academic level, and that goes for other subjects as well such as math. Average for the "academic" curriculum test, in my school, was about 10-15% lower than for IB-only. Many people when they first learn physics they see equations left and right, they think they need to be super good at math or something. But in reality physics is about understanding concepts, which are sometimes contradictory to common sense/common belief. Once you set up the problem (transferring words to numbers) that's past the hard part. 

15 hours ago, asdfghjkl1234567890 said:

In my opinion Bio and Chem HL are hard but I don't see a way for you to change it unless you want to do something you probably hate more. HL Bio is just a lot of memorization so if you're good at that you should be fine. HL Chem is fine too if you like the topic. If not, you might die.

As for the physics, this is just my personal experience and opinion, but take it how you please:

Good luck! I believe in u!

Thank youuu:)