Math Studies Abuse and Respect

king2010

Just to clarify, the M08 papers for Maths HL were very much different in terms of difficulty of previous years as well as the specimen. So students who were predicted with 6s/7s fell down to a 5/4 since the format was changed and there was no adequate preparation from the IB or teachers. Students who under perform from N08 onwards have no excuse.

Biochem, what I mean is: if you're planning to take econ at uni, you damn well be taking at least Methods in IB. Otherwise, you won't manage at all come uni. In fact, I think some unis outright reject students who don't have HL.

I think your school is an exception or at least the circumstances are different from mine. The average here is high 6 to a low 7, so most students are doing relatively well. If most students are AIMING for a 4 in HL and think they'll magically get a 7 on the exam, then they are deluded and don't belong in HL, as they clearly lack the work ethic and that bit of spark.

Failing HL math because it's "hard" isn't an excuse, btw. You should tell that to your egotistic classmates. They should have realized what they signed up for - if they didn't, they will soon enough when that nasty mark at the end of the year slaps them in the face.

Students to who under perform from N08 onwards have no excuse.

What about I wasn't smart enough? :(

Edited by Irene

very well said Irene, I agree :]

Today I thought of this board, cause in chem class a math studies student solved a ion concentration question that was quiet difficult (i.e., had 5 factors to recognize for a predicted reaction :P )

I admit, I didn't get in the end still :) The logic was confusing. But part of learning, admitting sometimes I am wrong :D

True, because it usually brings their GPA down from what they could have if they had taken Math SL!

Well...yes and no. Let me just say that I've been loving this topic disussion a lot, so thanks eveybody for making it so much fun, :S Oh and if you're taking math HL you usually do well in it. And by no means should anyone ever think that Math HL is something out of this world that all the big colleges look at with awe. It's actually quite the contrary. I can tell you from what I've seen in the MIT admissions process that they really really really don't care much about IB as much as European colleges do. If you ask me, all of those people who brag about being in Math HL probably don't know half of what an AP calculus student learns in half the time it takes to do Math HL. Yes I think Math studies is a joke. No I don't think peole taking it are stupid. Yes I think people taking it could pass Math SL easily. No I don't drink and am not drunk at the moment.

Btw, its great to hear about that lower level english class that they are opening, now I feel like there is fairness in the Universe. Any chance they'll come up with an easier TOK class by any chance? lol