A* in iGCSE maths good enough for HL Maths?

incognito90

Poll  

6 members have voted

1. 1. HL IB maths manageable with only igcse maths?

• Yes
    • No
    • May be

There's a good chance to do well in Math HL if one or more of the following cases apply to you: 1) You have a good math "acumen" and a super strong math foundation. You learn math quickly. You enjoy solving math puzzles and appreciate challenge problems on tests or in math contests. 2) Like you have suggested, you learn some content (eg IGCSE Add Maths) of IB beforehand. 3) You are willing to spend hours a day to do questions thoroughly (taking as much time as you need on a question to first get quality > quantity), knowing that doing so can make less time for other subjects. 

• Like 1

I did both igcse maths and add maths and am currently doing maths HL in IB. Despite having done both courses there was a jump I needed to adapt to - you'll feel a greater one without additional maths. That does not mean you're not legible for it. 

As @kw0573 already mentioned, it's up to your abilities and motivation. There's a girl in my class who didn't do igcses and the level of maths she did in her old school was more or less comparable to igcse, and she's doing fine. 

I also agree with the part where you need to take your time to do exercises on a weekly if not daily basis. I find myself doing exercises instead of actual homework in order to maintain my level of understanding in the class. Of course I end up doing both, but if I know I'm not struggling in let's say chemistry I'll do the homework after I practise maths. 

Try learning some of the content! I learned parts of the syllabus myself as I did the 2 year course for add maths in 7 months with the teacher, so I had less time with him and more time spent on my own studying the content. I hiiiiighllyyyy recommend the Haese Mathematics book for additional maths. You can only get it through their website and takes a while to ship but oh my is it a good book! 

Good luck! 

• Like 1