How do you stay active through the day?

RomanLV

Hey. Few weeks ago I recognized, that I have problems with being active all the day, after 3-4 hours of active work mentally and physically my activity disappears and I can not push myself to work and I just go sleep. If you know any useful tips and hints how to stay strong and active during work day, please help me!

• Like 1

Omg Same, but no I'm now more active in general because I have to train due to an injury and it makes me feel a bit more alive. You should try to eat nuts and fruits, also drink lots of water. Best thing is to eat as healthy as possible (lots of vegetables and fish). For studying after school you can try to study for 20-30  min and a 10 min break between study sessions. Use the break to stretch and go to the bathroom.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, swedishgäri said:

Omg Same, but no I'm now more active in general because I have to train due to an injury and it makes me feel a bit more alive. You should try to eat nuts and fruits, also drink lots of water. Best thing is to eat as healthy as possible (lots of vegetables and fish). For studying after school you can try to study for 20-30  min and a 10 min break between study sessions. Use the break to stretch and go to the bathroom.

Thanks I'll try . But how do you all plan your time? Do you use any stratagies or do yourself?

Edited by RomanLV

4 minutes ago, RomanLV said:

Thanks I'll try . But how do you all plan your time? Do you use any stratagies or do yourself?

Well tbh I don't really plan my time as I have an easy time remembering things. I always write by hand as it helps me remember and start studying for tests latest 2 weeks before. Sorry that all i got :/

• Like 1

Having a part time job that requires me to be on my feet for 3 to 8 hours at a time (with only a 15 minute break!) has helped me stay active. It's only three times a week though. Caffein helps as well, though be careful - I drink 12 cups of coffee a day and will probably increase this number, because I'm building up a tolerance. Fresh food like fruits and vegetables are good. I also avoid breakfast because it makes me feel sluggish, perhaps you could give that a go?

The number one thing that has helped me, beyond anything else, is planning out my day. With naps included. Problem solved!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to boost my activity levels for the past few months and so far I've found that there's two kinda big things that can really help you tackle it but they kinda have to work together.

The first one is physical health, when I know I have to study I try to stay away from caffeine (I know it sounds counter productive) because that way I avoid the dreaded crash. I also try and stay away from really sugary stuff for the same reason. I've noticed that I can work for roughly 45-50 minutes before my brain turns to mush so I plan ahead so that I take breaks for 10-15 min after that amount of time. During those breaks I try and get up and walk around, even if it's just a lap around the library, and drink some water. For snacks I would def recommend stuff thats nutritious and is gonna keep you fuelled. Make it something you actually wanna eat, no one enjoys munching on a naked piece of kale and if they say they do they are LYING to themselves. At the mo I'm really into nut butters & hummus with stuff to dip into them, you can also just toss some sweet potato or regular potato in some olive oil, salt & rosemary and throw them in the over for like 20min for a bomb study snack. You do you, figure out what snacks work for you best.

Next up is the mental health stuff. I notice MASSIVE changes in my activity levels depending on how stressed out I am. Depending on wether that stress translates to the depression or anxiety route can also impact my energy levels, with the former making it hard for me to find any energy at all and the other leading to very sporadic bursts of energy. Neither are very fun. Basically if you feel like your tired no matter what you seem to do in terms of physical health, check in with yourself a little bit and see how you're feeling. To perk yourself up you can try talking to someone, hug something cute or do something entirely different. I know that a lot of people like to take a giant dump on meditation but it really isn't as bull as it can sound and can really help you unwind. BUT AGAIN YOU DO YOU. 

Sleep is also super important! I know us IB students like to not do the sleeping thing because we have other things to do - but try and get 6-8 hours a day.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you can, do as much physical activity as you can tolerate - I started running track and cross country this year (though I suppose school sports are more of an American thing?) and practice is every day after school. The great thing about it is that not only do I get that physical activity in, I get a break from everything IB. No exams, no homework, no IAs, none of it exists for the hour and a half or so that I'm at practice. Also, eat healthy stuff rather than junk food, stretch a lot, and get up and do something else when you're experiencing that mental fatigue. 

This does not apply to everyone but I tend to find that I learn better after at least an hour of exercise and then I can actually study with a clear head for at least 4-5 hours (with breaks of course). I tend to reward myself with either a break of like social media or a break with a snack or something like that after I finished a topic, or a subtopic, depending on how long the studying is.