Course Selection for Pre-IB?

nwvmp

So I was recently accepted into the IB program at Turner Fenton SS (Canada, Ontario) and since my school board uses MyBlueprint for their students' course selections, I'm forced to submit my courses using it. But Turner Fenton still hasn't put me in their system and my courses for my mainstream high school are still submitted and MyBlueprint still thinks I'm registered at my mainstream high school. This isn't a problem as an email I received from the IB school said to wait at least 24-48 hours after accepting the offer (I accepted around 8PM 2 days ago) before you will be allowed to change your school and view your courses. They haven't set any deadlines for course selection yet so I guess I have a fair amount of time to think about it. But I was just wondering, as I heard that there are 2 different course levels, HL being High Level and SL being Standard Level? Is this is the case in Grade 9 Pre-IB? Does it depend on the school? Sorry, I'm really new to all this ^_^ Thanks! 

Edited by nwvmp

29 minutes ago, nwvmp said:

So I was recently accepted into the IB program at Turner Fenton SS (Canada, Ontario) and since my school board uses MyBlueprint for their students' course selections, I'm forced to submit my courses using it. But Turner Fenton still hasn't put me in their system and my courses for my mainstream high school are still submitted and MyBlueprint still thinks I'm registered at my mainstream high school. This isn't a problem as an email I received from the IB school said to wait at least 24-48 hours after accepting the offer (I accepted around 8PM 2 days ago) before you will be allowed to change your school and view your courses. They haven't set any deadlines for course selection yet so I guess I have a fair amount of time to think about it. But I was just wondering, as I heard that there are 2 different course levels, HL being High Level and SL being Standard Level? Is this is the case in Grade 9 Pre-IB? Does it depend on the school? Sorry, I'm really new to all this ^_^ Thanks! 

Because IB Diploma is only 2 years, and pre-IB curricula are not sponsored by IB (almost by definition) then it very much depends on the school. Now because schools cannot call it SL or HL but they can try to make the curriculum more difficult or rigorous to help your prepare for IB.

• Like 1

I'm from a neighbouring district (actually Turner Fenton is like 30 minutes from my high school) and basically pre-IB is handled like normal high school. Your school will likely pre-register you in your required courses, and electives are at a non-IB level so that's all you gotta pick. If you're concerned about the delay, perhaps call the school but for the most part you got nothing to worry about

• Like 1

Okay, so MyBlueprint was updated and turns out I don't have any levels for any of my courses. All I have to do is pick out of the MYP Grade 9 folder and I'm set! One question though, does anyone have any idea what 'Digital Arts' means? Is that like graphic design? Because I have that option as my 'Arts' course but there's no description on it. 

4 hours ago, nwvmp said:

Okay, so MyBlueprint was updated and turns out I don't have any levels for any of my courses. All I have to do is pick out of the MYP Grade 9 folder and I'm set! One question though, does anyone have any idea what 'Digital Arts' means? Is that like graphic design? Because I have that option as my 'Arts' course but there's no description on it. 

Digital Arts is likely to involve photography, animation, and photoshop. It's about the techniques rather than design.