choosing between 3 math ia topics?

schwardz

hi i'm just asking abt the math ia... i've narrowed down my topic ideas to 3 main ones which are all correlations:

1. correlation between literacy rates and birth rates of 100 random countries
  2. correlation between height or weight (havent decided) of soccer players (would probably focus on attackers) vs how many goals they score on average per season... for this i think i'd use about 50 attacking players from top leagues around the world and average out the amount of goals they scored in their respective country's league in the last 3 seasons, and see if there was a correlation
  3. correlation between average temperature and rainfall rates... for this i'd probably focus on one city and use monthly data going back at least 10 years in the given city... the only issue i have with this one is that idk if there's a concrete //point// for this investigation.. like what would i write in the task statement\? "i've always wondered if there was a correlation between rainfall and temperature and it's really interesting to do a project on" lolll

also just letting yall know i'm most interested in the soccer player one bc im a fan of it so i feel like it would be easier for me to do it & more interesting for me personally

this was going to be my general plan for the math techniques: put the data in a table, then a graph (scatter plot) and calculate the reg. line using a GDC, calculate pearsons correlation coefficient using the formula then a chi squared test to see if the variables are dependent or not.

ALSO last thing but do any math studies students have any experience in doing correlations like what i'm doing as their IAs? i was worried that it is something too simple and that i might get marked down for it/ not get higher marks because it's not complex enough?

tysm for any help!!!

• 7 months later...