Written Task about "the past"?

Madi

Hello! :) I have one small question at heart. For my HL Written Task 2 I have picked the following prescribed essay question:

If the text had been written in a different time or place or language or for a different audience, how and why might it differ?

I'm going to connect this task to a novel written in the 21st century, that my class have been studying in class. Of course, there are connections between the novel's content and global/societal/environmental issues highly relevant to the 21st century, which could explain why the literary text is written exactly the way it was.

My idea for the prescribed essay question is to write about how and why the novel would be different if it was written by an author living in a specific time and place in the past, rather than in the 21st century, because at that specific time and place I'm thinking about, the people affected concerned about different issues than the issues faced today in the 21st century, and therefore the text would be different. The ideas I have are very rich, but the issue is I'm unsure about whether or not I'm actually allowed to go way back in time like this? :) The only given examples show how an older text could have been re-written today, which is the opposite of what I'm thinking...

Any clues would be highly appreciated! 

Edited by Madi