IOP on The Great Gatsby

Emkay

So, I need to pick a IOP topic on The Great Gatsby. I have the choice to make it on The Scarlet Letter, or the poems (which we haven't read yet), but just encase I don't like the poetry I'd do TGG (I don't like The Scarlet Letter too much).

So far I've thought of:
Comparison of Daisy and Myrtle
How the 4 settings are used in the novel
The role of the past in the novel

Any ideas? And do the three ideas I thought up too vague or okay?

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Mkxxy' post='28704' date='Nov 19 2008, 08:23 PM']So, I need to pick a IOP topic on The Great Gatsby. I have the choice to make it on The Scarlet Letter, or the poems (which we haven't read yet), but just encase I don't like the poetry I'd do TGG (I don't like The Scarlet Letter too much).

So far I've thought of:
Comparison of Daisy and Myrtle
How the 4 settings are used in the novel
The role of the past in the novel

Any ideas? And do the three ideas I thought up too vague or okay?[/quote]

I did my IOP with the Great Gatsby. I had Daisy choose what 'relationship' she wanted in the end - I chose Tom. I also compared it to Neruda's [i]100 Love Sonnets[/i]. My title was "Gatsby, Tom, or Neruda?" and I dressed up and roleplayed. It was a lot of fun and I'm pretty sure I got a good grade.

• 2 years later...

[quote name='biochem' timestamp='1229291342' post='30271']
10. Dont wait till the last day. Dont use a PowerPoint, UNLESS it enhances your overall presentation (for example, covering imagery, should be done on a power point). And dont get sleep the night before, more than you normally do. Stick to your normal sleeping schedule. the night before, I had 3 hours of sleep in order to stimulate the same brain activity. Often times, my classmates take the opportunity and go to sleep at 6 p.m. after school, sleeping for 12 hours, and come to school dead. This is because Dopamine is a chemical in your brain which is released when you dont have sufficient sleep. you dont want to alter your biological chemistry the night before an exam. This causes a disturbance. Same goes for extreme diets. Dont have some extravagant breakfast before, rather have it after you finish the oral and you breath that heavy sigh, knowing that you just got a perfect score :P
[/quote]

Would it enhance your presentation to use a power point with the quotes you are using? Perhaps some bullet form notes for the presenter to use?

I did my IOP a few months back.

The trouble with using a Powerpoint is that you begin to focus on what it says rather than what you should be saying.
The clicking and changing of slides also interrupts your presentation.

I greatly suggest none of you use Powerpoints...

• 6 months later...

Hey guys we have been told to make a presentation on 'The Cherry Orchard' with only bullet points in power point. Then we are suppose to write one thesis statement explaining those points, yes literary analysis is required. After that we have to write one reflective statement. Can somebody please explain what should be their in thesis and reflective statement, Power point? What IB wants? and ya is there any marking criteria for IOP? Please do share. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
:) Hey guys, I am planning to do my IOP next month. I am really confused whether I should compare within the stories in 'Interpreter of Maladies' by Jhumpa Lahiri or do a cross comparison between Interpreter of Maladies and 'Death and thd Maiden' by Ariel Dorfman. I also wanted to know how should I go about choosing my IOP topic as well as how to present it. Moreover, I get nervous when speaking to an audience, so how should I tackle that? Please help :)