How difficult to just pass the IB

Ayers

Hi and sorry for a very basic question. From what I hear, and read on this forum, the IBD is very challenging, suited to hard-working bright all-rounders. But is this when you want to get very good grades, how achievable is it for a very weak student to just pass the IBD with the minimum number of points? Soon my daughter will need to decide between the local system which is crap and really not good for her (and losing her friends and teachers she trusts), or continue in her international school that prepares only to the IB. She would need to just pass. But she is very weak, how achievable is the diploma for such a profile? Thanks for your feedback.

I do think with maximum effort every student can pass IBDP(Diploma Programme) because it accommodates a broad range of abilities and interests. I think you should trust your daughter's efforts will be fruitful. However, just because she may be able to pass it does not mean IB is the right program. She should go to the program that give her the right amount of challenge. I hope you as parent will recognize and reward her good results to give her the confidence she needs to succeed in whichever program she enters. 

Many thanks for your answer it's nice of you to take the time. As things are difficult for her she finds school days are exhausting - working a lot at home to compensate is all the more unlikely. I am scared IB is not for her, however this program is also very interesting and delivered in a school where teachers are kind, caring, helpful - while our local system is about crushing and eliminating the kids. The exams are objectively slightly easier but the environment is terrible and making the best of one's abilities is almost impossible. Daughter is adhd and dyslexic.

Hi! At my school everyone has to take the IB diploma.. everyone. This must mean (I assume) that even the not-so-good-in-school people get by (as our school (of 100 people per grade) usually has a pass rate of like 97%). 

Nevertheless, if she is not ready to work at home, she will definitely struggle. If you really want her to go to the IB school, I'd ask the school if it's possible that she takes a "IB certificate / IB courses". It is basically the same as the IB diploma except for that you don't have to do Theory of Knowledge, C.A.S. and the Extended Essay (which all are a great deal of work). I think that it definitely suits students who aren't so good in school very well. 

(Btw, in the IB people with dyslexia get extra time on their exams (the amount depends on how severe it is))

Good luck. 

Many thanks for the advice. This ''ib survival'' community is really very helpful. Good luck to all! (If other passer-bys want to give me their own feeling or share experience of how likely a very average student is to pass the diploma - certificates would not do - please be welcome, I need good reasons to hope for the best).

If your local system is crap, IB is probably a great alternative. That's sort of what I did. (Although I graduated the IBDP and my local system. But basically avoided any of the common core stuff. The U.S. is a bit weird...) I think straight 4's (24 points total) is roughly 50% in all the subjects which is generally pretty doable. 

I think just about anyone who is motivated enough can pass IB. In a lot of ways, IB is more of a test of discipline than anything else. With 6 subjects, there's always something to study for. You're bound to like some of the material and bound to dislike other parts. I've never been a huge fan of English, but I forced myself and pushed through and passed it at HL.