Show vs Verify

lomhow1234

I'm in SL.

Today we received our now graded quiz on distribution.

Almost everyone got this one question wrong, our teacher said that we were "verifying it and not showing it".

This specific terminology is new to me, I browsed some other educational forums in search of an example, but found only Public school teachers saying that there's no difference.

What do you guys know about this? Is this an official IB thing or just being overly specific?

Link to question

Edited by lomhow1234
a question was asking for an opinion and not fact, my mistake

4 hours ago, lomhow1234 said:

I'm in SL.

Today we received our now graded quiz on distribution.

Almost everyone got this one question wrong, our teacher said that we were "verifying it and not showing it".

This specific terminology is new to me, I browsed some other educational forums in search of an example, but found only Public school teachers saying that there's no difference.

What do you guys know about this? Is this an official IB thing or just being overly specific?

Link to question

They want you to understand why k=3. To do this you don't simply plug in 3 into x. Since the probability is in a set of three numbers, P(X=1) + P(X=2) + P(X=k) must be equal to 1. Finding the probability of each of them gives:

1/14 + 4/14 + k^2/14 =1

5/14 + k^2/14 = 14/14

k^2/14 = (14-5)/14

k^2/14 = 9/14

k^2 = 9

k = +3 (do not write +- or you will lose a point, since the number of events cannot be negative)

This should be the correct answer. Let me know if I missed anything or if you need clarification. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, In terminal ass as mint said:

They want you to understand why k=3. To do this you don't simply plug in 3 into x. Since the probability is in a set of three numbers, P(X=1) + P(X=2) + P(X=k) must be equal to 1. Finding the probability of each of them gives:

1/14 + 4/14 + k^2/14 =1

5/14 + k^2/14 = 14/14

k^2/14 = (14-5)/14

k^2/14 = 9/14

k^2 = 9

k = +3 (do not write +- or you will lose a point, since the number of events cannot be negative)

This should be the correct answer. Let me know if I missed anything or if you need clarification. 

Ok yah, I think I got it. Thanks for the help man!