Ethics of the Minority Vote (Discussion)

lomhow1234

During my Global Politics class I began contemplating about why we have the "Minority Vote". Basically what I'm thinking is that :

We worked so hard to remove segregation from Society, but yet we reinstall it in our political system? Was it ever removed from our political system? Why is the "Minority", generally the African-American population and doesn't the Asian, Hispanic, Native American, etc.?

I think back to when my mom had all these stock exchange shows and news channels constantly being playing on our TV, around the time of the last Presidential Election (Donald Trump vs. Hillary Clinton, in case someone is reading this in the distant future, and if you are, hi), and the people on the show kept saying "The Minority Vote", as though the people they're talking about are foreigners who don't understand anything. I talked about the idea with some of the people in my Global Politics class, and got some interesting answers. Some said that its because they're in the Black Community with Black Culture, but just because they have a different culture doesn't mean they're not Americans. I proposed the idea to my Global Politics teacher for my HL Extension, but after discussing it, we both agreed that its too subjective and wouldn't fit within the 10 minute time limit. The concept of questioning this felt more like a ToK topic than a Global Politics one, so that's why I'm posting it here.

This is more of a United States thing, but I'd love to hear the opinions of others on this.

Edited by lomhow1234
I added Discussion to the title to signify that I'm not asking for help on an assignment