TOK Methodology

red_hypergiant

On 2/16/2017 at 1:58 AM, kw0573 said:

So can you clarify your question? Are you writing a TOK essay on photography and you have to talk about "methodology"? Do you have a prompt for what you are supposed to do?

Well, I am currently in the first year of IB and our teacher has set us a prep to prepare a presentation regarding one of the "Arts" and I chose photography. The "methodology" (of photography I suppose) is just one of the topics I must cover in the presentation. The problem is I don't completely understand the concept itself or how to apply it to photography. Sorry about the ambiguity. And just to elaborate further, we also have to talk about how our chosen Art contributes to personal knowledge and shared knowledge. So far, I have only managed to introduce my topic and discuss the subjectivity of "Art" itself (so is photography Art...is it not etc..) - and my next step is to talk about the methodology. Hope that clarifies things. 

2 hours ago, red_hypergiant said:

Well, I am currently in the first year of IB and our teacher has set us a prep to prepare a presentation regarding one of the "Arts" and I chose photography. The "methodology" (of photography I suppose) is just one of the topics I must cover in the presentation. The problem is I don't completely understand the concept itself or how to apply it to photography. Sorry about the ambiguity. And just to elaborate further, we also have to talk about how our chosen Art contributes to personal knowledge and shared knowledge. So far, I have only managed to introduce my topic and discuss the subjectivity of "Art" itself (so is photography Art...is it not etc..) - and my next step is to talk about the methodology. Hope that clarifies things. 

While IB frequently talks about personal and shared knowledge, "methodology" is not a IB term. You should probably ask your teacher for clarification. Good luck!

On 2/15/2017 at 10:00 PM, red_hypergiant said:

Hey guys, I have an issue here. Basically, I'm still bloody confused as to what "methodology" is and I'm supposed to talk about it regarding Photography. Please help meh. 

I'm not sure about this but "methodology" is an aspect of an AOK framework, and its about how knowledge is gained in an AOK and the process taken to gain it. So for art, questions regarding methodology include:

What counts as a fact in this area of knowledge?

What role do models play in this area of knowledge?

Which ways of knowing do we use in order to connect with, and understand, the arts? Which ways of knowing do artists themselves use in order to create their works?

I'm not sure if this is any help but its just to clarify what your teacher couldve meant by methodology :) Do ask your teacher for clarifications! best of luck!

• Like 2