Advice on dropping IB certificate courses

Unexpectedboss

So I'm currently in my first year of the IB certificate programme in Canada. Im in 5 IB courses - English sl, French hl, chem hl, physics sl, and math sl.

I am currently getting around 70% in both chemistry and physics. The marks get scaled to 83% on my report card, and this is meant to be equivalent with the mark a student would be getting in a non IB course. In Canada most universities require around 90% in these two courses to get into engineering.

I know that I could get 90% if I dropped out of these two IB courses and did regular chemistry and physics 12. I'm looking for advice on what I should do in this situation.

thanks!

I'm in engineering in Canada and I can safely say that IB kids had only a very small advantage in engineering classes. If you think you can do better in a provincial level class, by all means please follow the path to higher marks.

However I'd recommend talking to your coordinator about this decision too. It's possible that your marks can go up in Year 2 and maybe it's just a matter of different study skills or more practice with material. Dropping an IB course is non-reversible, so make sure you're certain about leaving.