HKamal

Hey all,

So I have my IO this Monday. Individuals in our class work in pairs of two for the IO. We have read Medea by Euripides. My topic is as follows:

Consider the ways in which Greek drama is constructed – how are dramatic conventions used and how do these differ from/are alike modern drama? Consider when, how, and where Greek drama was predominantly performed. In relation to this, consider Aristotle’s definition of a tragedy.

Now I have found out a little about the structure. There is a prologue and then the chorus enters. Thereafter there is an alternation between episodes (interaction between actors) and choral odes (songs/chants). At first I thought that Shakespearean drama is considered to be modern drama but its actually plays written in the 19th 20th centuries. I also noticed that Greek drama follows freyard's pyramid. I don't really get what dramatic conventions mean though. I have tried googling but its not clear. Could someone please shed some light on this? Also if someone has some general advice for the reflective statement and the IO it would help greatly.

Thanks!