MLI Advice

chenji

Hey everyone!

I'm starting to think of topics to do for my MLI, but I don't know how to go about choosing my topic.

I'm interested in the romantic and jazz genres, but I'm not familiar enough with either to know two good pieces with strong links to compare.

I really like the piece Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini by Rachmaninoff, but am not sure what the jazz piece would be.

Besides comparing two pieces from the romantic and jazz genres, I was also considering doing a comparison between a minimalist piece and African music, where one of the focus could be on cross-rhythms. Again, I'm not as familiar with either genre so I'm not so sure about what pieces I'd do either. (I am aware that if I do choose this topic, I'll need to be careful about not choosing a minimalist piece that has been influenced very strongly by African music).

Can anyone make any suggestions for pieces of music or offer any pieces of advice?  

Thanks! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Wait,

Aren't both pieces supposed to be completely different and if you trace history both styles back, you would not find any way to sort of link them together? I have been doing this activity thing where I'm supposed to do a mock-MLI, the teacher told me that so... For example, if you trace Jazz back, you would see that it is close to the romantic period. Rachmaninoff himself had so much influence from the pianist Art Tatum, who was, is, and will always be the best jazz pianist in the world. 

I suggest you pick two completely different styles or pieces and try to find musical links between them, such as searching for a style of the western art music world and traditional music (world music). 

And you can always compare two different styles, does not have to be specific pieces (comparing two different styles and try to find links).

• Like 1