Should I drop out of IB?

SaraPir

I live in Canada and the University I want to apply to is also in Canada, same province. The average to get into the program is about 87–90%, I am not going international and the university said that IB students are not given “special treatment”/preference over applicants w/o the Diploma. My math mark is what is mainly concerning me, it’s a level 5, my lowest mark, but I know I would do way better as a regular academic kid. If the uni. has no preference, and I am not going international, is the IB really worth stressing about?

It depends on the university itself and more specifically the program and what its requirements are. There should be specific details as to what grades they want from IB Students like, above 35 points. While they may not have give "special treatment", if you do well in IB you will probably be more likely to be accepted. Also I think IB is supposed to be good in other ways like, in terms of preparation, it helps you be more well prepared for Uni, especially with the Extended Essay

Yes, the program requires between 32-34 points for admission. I emailed the university as well and they said that IB students were given no preference. I am really struggling in this program. I am afraid that I will not be able to achieve the 32-34 points range and this will jeopardize my chance of acceptance, especially if I know that I would be capable of doing better as just a regular kid, easily earning that 87-90% average. The uni is not even in another country. I do not want to graduate IB with a potential level 4 in math, knowing that that mark would've been way higher should I have dropped. I am not enjoying high school at all. I dont want to appear as a coward but I really am struggling. This is why I want to know if it is even worth it given my situation.

Then I think you should consider dropping out, just don't rush into it. Talk to a guidance counselor at your school if you have one, talk to your parents. I usually wouldn't advise anyone to quit anything, but it seems ib isn't worth your time. If it's making you miserable, and you don't need it, then don't stay in a position that is harming you. You aren't a coward for feeling like you're struggling, we all struggle, but many of us have a reason to really want the diploma. 

Wish you the best <3

• Like 1

What university is this and for what program?

In general it's not a bad thing to drop out of IB in Canada. The provincial curriculum is more than enough to get into a program, and I you need a 90 to get in then you should definitely put your efforts towards reaching that, in IB or otherwise. 

However just make make sure you are 100% sure about dropping out. IB can really prepare you for first year, while the provincial curriculum might not prepare you for the difficulty of assignments that you'll see in uni. It's nice to be well prepared, but again it's not make it or break it for uni.

In the end, your goal of getting into that program should take precedence. Make the choice that's right for you.

I want to get into Life Science at McMaster. The University that told me they have no preference is Western, where I also was interested in their Medicine programs. I want to become a neurosurgeon. I have no interest in going to the USA or a country in Europe where the IB would be really valued. Many of the students that graduated IB at my school told me that the only advantage was that they transitioned well into Uni. They were ahead at first in the sense that they were familiar with the stress load, but eventually the other students got used to it too and everyone was on the same pace.

As it is now second semester of grade 11, I have 2 more tests left in math sl and with the deadline of the math exploration approaching, I really don't think I will end up with a good mark. I know math is very important and I don't want this particular subject to be my lowest mark. 

I really just regret being so naive and choosing this program. Thank you all for the tips and any advice would be surely appreciated.

For Math SL, only your IA and exam mark matter. Your final mark determined by IB will be the one that universities see on your transcript (if you have your math exam this may) because your IB coordinator changes the mark that's on your report card. If you get a 6 on your final exam, you are likely to get a 6 (depends on your IA mark, too).

Fellow Ontarian student :)

Hi there. Choosing IB is not naive. I've had friends who dropped out of IB in Gr 11 because they knew they could do better in the regular academic program. Plus they didn't want to deal with all of the hassle that IB has. If you feel that you would do better in academic, then by all means go for it. I'm also in Ontario too so I know where you're coming from. Just a side note here, I've sent in university applications in January (all Ontario unis) since it's my last year in high school. It is possible to apply with your OSSD marks rather than your IB score. Generally, OSSD marks are better than your IB score but if your IB score is really high, then there's really not much of a difference. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers. 

Edited by COYSTHFC