DP courses

moonhowl1027

Hey, I am a student in MYP 10 and is now starting to choose my classes for DP. Since I plan on going into Biology major or Life science major in university, I need some help choosing between Chem HL or business and management/history HL. 

so far i have

biology HL

Eng Lit and lang HL

Chem

Business and management or history (Which one is easier?)

French SL

Math SL

Edited by moonhowl1027
Forgot to add in one of my classes

Chemistry HL is a pretty hard course. Some topics can get pretty complex (trust me, I know. I'm in the course right now), but it looks pretty good on an application to the sciences. Ultimately it would come down to how much you like the subject, how good are you at the subject, and how integral you feel it is to your application and intended major. Having two HL sciences, however, will be pretty tough.

B & M is definitely the "easier" course, as History is arguably the most time consuming Group 3 course. This'll really come down to your interest over anything else.

Also, I notice that you haven't mentioned Mathematics. Just remember that most universities will not accept Math Studies for Science majors.

4 minutes ago, Jaysun said:

Chemistry HL is a pretty hard course. Some topics can get pretty complex (trust me, I know. I'm in the course right now), but it looks pretty good on an application to the sciences. Ultimately it would come down to how much you like the subject, how good are you at the subject, and how integral you feel it is to your application and intended major. Having two HL sciences, however, will be pretty tough.

B & M is definitely the "easier" course, as History is arguably the most time consuming Group 3 course. This'll really come down to your interest over anything else.

Also, I notice that you haven't mentioned Mathematics. Just remember that most universities will not accept Math Studies for Science majors.

thanks for your help :)

I think if you are applying within Canada, there's no question, take Chemistry HL. You will either ace your provincial diplomas or get crazy high converted grades for even a mid-5 achievement in Chemistry HL. If you are thinking of studying outside of Canada, you may need to take SAT Chemistry Subject Test (eg for some US schools) and Chemistry may or may not be a prerequisite. Then if IB Chemistry is not a prerequisite (or if you can take provincial-level chemistry at night/summer class), take BM HL and make sure you can get a really high overall grades (for outside of Canada). 

It may seem weird to take the more competitive course combination for domestic applications, because you are essentially guaranteed admission at least to some unis but Chemistry HL can ensure you can be more than ready for most 1xx and 2xx level general chem/biochem/organic chem courses in uni. But Chemistry HL for international applications may be optional (if admission office say it's optional), if you can secure a really high score (eg 39-40+) and that gives you best chances. 

1 minute ago, kw0573 said:

I think if you are applying within Canada, there's no question, take Chemistry HL. You will either ace your provincial diplomas or get crazy high converted grades for even a mid-5 achievement in Chemistry HL. If you are thinking of studying outside of Canada, you may need to take SAT Chemistry Subject Test (eg for some US schools) and Chemistry may or may not be a prerequisite. Then if IB Chemistry is not a prerequisite (or if you can take provincial-level chemistry at night/summer class), take BM HL and make sure you can get a really high overall grades (for outside of Canada). 

It may seem weird to take the more competitive course combination for domestic applications, because you are essentially guaranteed admission at least to some unis but Chemistry HL can ensure you can be more than ready for most 1xx and 2xx level general chem/biochem/organic chem courses in uni. But Chemistry HL for international applications may be optional (if admission office say it's optional), if you can secure a really high score (eg 39-40+) and that gives you best chances. 

Thanks for your help! and yes I am applying within Canada, I am considering mcgill, ubc, or uni of toronto