Econ Higher Essay Answering Styles

Unfortunately I am not VIP, but i do desperately need some help with Econ essay writing. I'm an Econ higher yr 2, and up until the start of this year i was going the 7 way. This year all of a sudden a I'm 5-6. My teacher says i don't know how to answer IB questions, but he's not giving me any useful advice.
So my question is, can any anyone describe the form? What do you stress? What do you define? How actively do you use graphs and how much breadth does an essay answer (IB 10 and 15 mark) need?
Advice and links are appreciated, thanks.

Always define anything that's relevant to the topic you're focusing on. For example, if your topic is about developmental economics, then it's not necessary to define supply and demand, but if your topic is microeconomics, then you should.

I try to use at least 2 graphs with each answer. I ended up getting a 7 in economics HL even though I really wasn't comfortable with the exam. I'm trying to remember now what I did and honestly, it's all just logical. Define, explain with graphs, and evaluate. Do you happen to have the economics course companion? I remember there was a section at the back explaining how in depth to go with 10 mark and 15 mark questions and I just followed that. I would scan it for you but I don't have it with me as I'm at uni at the moment.

I don't have that companion packet yet. Do you know where I could get it online?
As a separate inquiry, when you were writing your IB exam did you focus more on theory, or graphical proof's/evidence? At the moment I only have portfolios to go by as models for my answers, but 7s there discuss graphs every second sentence.
As I take it, graphs (in essays) are only so useful as they happen to coincide with what you're talking about, but shouldn't be included if they are a stretch. Is that right?
[my second post :P ]

Edited by EconSurvivor

The Course Companion is more of a book..you have to order it from a bookstore (or at least I had to, it cost $40 CAD for me). The Course Companion is basically like an IB Economics textbook with everything you need to know from the syllabus in it.

I focused on both actually. Usually I explained the general theory first and then I included a graph that was specific to the given problem and applied the theory to the situation.

And yes, if the graph is pretty much unrelated to the problem, don't include it. But you shouldn't find yourself not having a graph..nearly every economic theory has an accompanying graph that you can relate it to.

• Like 1

I used graphs whenever possible. Sometimes 3 or 4 for a 10 or 15 mark question. I also got 7 in econ hl with a horrible teacher so don't sweat it. Also I was predicted a 6 so maybe your teacher is just pushing you :P .

There are other threads addressing this topic and I think most agree that DEEDE is the way to go.
Define, Explain, Example, Diagram, Evaluation (use additional diagrams here)

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/IB-Diploma-Programme-Economics-Companion/dp/0199151245/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227439508&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/IB-Diploma-Program...9508&sr=8-1[/url]

This is the course companion, Amazon is probably the easiest place to get it from.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that knowing some key terms or the goal of your essay helps.
Such as:
Analyse=argue/examine the topic, mention relationships, variables, assumptions etc.
Assess=judge the quality/economic implications
Compare=describe 2 situations and present similarities and differences
Describe=detailed description
Discuss= consider and review
Explain=describe and give reasons for concept
To what extent=evaluate success of one argument over the other

• 2 months later...

i had the same problem, but i lost most of my points in the evaluation
make sure you consider the long term/short term consequences
which economic agents are affected negatively/positively, explain why
and depending on the topic, look at whether the macroeconomic objectives have been satisfied, so;
stable prices
unemployment
external equilibrium
etc..