IB Self Taught IOC and IOP questions

One1

Hello. I have a few questions I would like to ask about my upcoming IOC and IOP in late March. I asked these questions to my teacher but she didn't seem 100% sure.

1. Can we bring as many notes as we want into the PREPARATION room, but only take in 1 A4 paper into the RECORDING room?

2. How many notes can we bring in for our IOP?

3. Is it okay if our IOC is relatively short, even 5 minutes long? (I don't aim to get a 7 in self taught, I just want to pass, but I am really worried about this because when practicing with my extracts I could only get to 5 minutes on most of them, will this be enough to pass?)

4. What happens if you simply read off your notes? (I know this is not allowed but I just wanted to know just how much it affects your grade, is it an automatic 0?)

Thank you.

1) Yes

2) No restrictions (officially), but consult with your teacher on this one. Your teacher decides..

3) 5 minutes is a sign you don't know much and don't have much to say. A good indication of a FAIL.  Its waaaaay too short!   What's more, your teacher/interviewer will DEFINITELY not appreciate having to do a lot of footwork to fill in the gap for you. Moderators will note your over-reliance on the teacher/interviewer. Does not bode well.

4. Never do this. Forget it. Don't even think of it. It's not an option. 

Why not prepare properly for your orals and be ready to talk naturally and thoughtfully? If you are unable to do this without the support of teacher and notes then you are preparing to fail. Think about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackcurrant said:

1) Yes

2) No restrictions (officially), but consult with your teacher on this one. Your teacher decides..

3) 5 minutes is a sign you don't know much and don't have much to say. A good indication of a FAIL.  Its waaaaay too short!   What's more, your teacher/interviewer will DEFINITELY not appreciate having to do a lot of footwork to fill in the gap for you. Moderators will note your over-reliance on the teacher/interviewer. Does not bode well.

4. Never do this. Forget it. Don't even think of it. It's not an option. 

Why not prepare properly for your orals and be ready to talk naturally and thoughtfully? If you are unable to do this without the support of teacher and notes then you are preparing to fail. Think about it.

What do you mean by the teacher/interviewer filling in the gap? My teacher that will be in the recording room with me doesnt speak my language..

Oh, yes -- forgot that this is self-taught. Forget the teacher then. But your IOC will still suffer if you don't make use of all the time allowed. 10 minutes is extremely limiting already and there is none of the back up (saving grace) of the normal IOC exams which is the extra 5 min question period where a teacher can probe and help you develop. The ten minutes is your only shot.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackcurrant said:

Oh, yes -- forgot that this is self-taught. Forget the teacher then. But your IOC will still suffer if you don't make use of all the time allowed. 10 minutes is extremely limiting already and there is none of the back up (saving grace) of the normal IOC exams which is the extra 5 min question period where a teacher can probe and help you develop. The ten minutes is your only shot.

It seems to me that because you said there is no limit to amount of notes taken into IOP, what I infer, and in fact what did happen to most of my peers, is that they brought in completely written scripts but kind of free-styled with some adhesion to the script and some impromptu (especially for any question/answering). Penalties will be given for reading notes without eye contact but it is not an automatic fail. I estimate penalties at around 10-25% deduction (by not meeting certain criteria/standard). 

• Like 1