English A SL or English B HL for medicine?

Maria S

Hi! I am currently in the PRE-IB program and I need help with my choices that are supposed to be done next week. 
The courses I do want to study are: 

1. Psychology, HL
  2. Chemistry, HL
  3. Biology, HL
  4. Mathemathics, SL
  5. Swedish A Literature, SL
  6. ??? Here is the problem:

I am not sure whether I should pick English B as a fourth HL subject (will be easier to get a 7)
or, if I should pick English A Language & Literature SL.
The thing is, that a lot of universites (medicine) do not really care if I have English A or B, because I will still have to take the TOEFL - test. I am not planning on studying any literature abroad, so it's not really important. Hence, they will instead look at how many IB-points that I have at the end. And, by taking English B HL, it will be easier to get a 7. 

I do not have any problems with English, and it would feel kind of wasted if I would pick English B even though English is my third language. My teacher is VERY pleased with my work in English class, and so far, I've only gotten the highest marks. As a 16-year old, I am fluent in 4 languages. 

Our teacher in English A has a very known reputation of giving a lot of work to his students.  He is also the teacher of Phychology, so I am obviously prepared to work a lot. But the question is, if it actually is worth it. Putting more effort and work into something that might not give me a grade as high as English B. 

So, what are your opinions? English B HL or English A SL? 

You should definitely take English B HL. I don't know where you want to study medicine. But if you study in Sweden, then English literature is not really necessary. Besides, from what I've heard, many Swedish universities have changed the admission requirements for IB students applying to medicine. Prestigious universities like Karolinska or Lund would only admit students who have like 43+ points or something like that. So getting the top marks should be your number one priority. Even if you want to study abroad, I would even go so far as to say that English B is more than enough (this is according to some people that I know who got into British universities with only English B). However, to be sure, you should contact the universities and ask them directly. In any case, you should still take English B, because in the worst-case scenario, you still have the TOEFL test as an alternative.

• Like 1