Please choose ;)   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Biology or chemistry sl?

2. 2. Biology or economics hl?

3. 3. Which combination?

• Option A
    • Option B
    • Option C

Hi everyone I'm aiming to become a lawyer. For now I'll be taking history econ and English a as hl, as well as math and Chinese a for sl. What do you recommend as my last sl, and will they have a great impact in my university opportunities? I'm thinking about either bio or chem. I like biology a lot more and do better in it, but it does require a lot of memorization and I have history and eng hl already. I also hear from seniors that biology has a lot of chem concepts, and so I'll be very lost studying bio as an individual subject without chemistry. On the other hand, I find chemistry harder and less interesting, but it does offer more university choices(is that true if I choose it at sl?) And can be studied individually. What do you think? 

Another option of mine would be to choose bio English hist hl and chem math Chinese sl, but would the three hls require too much memorizing and cramming? 

Last question: if I suck at graph reading will econ hl be disastrous? 

So overall here are my options, please do tell me which one is better for my needs and becoming a lawyer:

A: econ history eng hl.  Chinese math bio sl

B: econ history eng hl.  Chinese math chem sl

C: bio eng history hl.  Chinese math chem sl 

Thanks you :D

Edited by ElizabethMoore

Hi Elizabeth,

I would say that the option B is the best for your ambitions towards becoming a lawyer. Chemistry is the most basic need for anyone understanding the natural processes in both bio and physics, therefore I think you will benefit the most from chemistry sl. It will certainly add to your prosperity as a lawyer and it won't be too complicated either.I think that you need economics if you want to be a successful lawyer as you can also deal business if you ever want to have an additional source of money. I think that the 2 sciences bio and chem sl are completely unnecessary as it doesn't enable you to change your mind later on in case you want to become a scientist, as you need chem and bio hl then. I'm both a bio and chem hl student, and also formerly eng a hl student, but as I didn't need it I dropped to only 3 hls.They don't require that much cramming  but writing high quality answers using a precise language is very important. Chemistry can be complex and stoichiometry calculations( solution concentration, volume of gases,moles and similar)are a true pain, especially if you're bad at maths and logical problems, and I would really advise you to consider it carefully. Ultimately i think you have to decide whether you like more chem or bio as they you won't really need them for your career, and choose the one that interests you the most, as this will make you an inquirer and even if you don't know chem(for the option a) you will be successful as only molecular bio is related to chem, but everything you need to know is already explained in the textbook.Other subjects that you have such as eng a, history and chinese are perfect for your career as a lawyer. Of course at the end of the day if you think that you cannot handle economics hl then of course you should think about other options that you have listed above, but they won't be as beneficial and fulfilling for your career as the option b, which will make an impression on your chosen universities. Even if you do not choose to take option b, eng hl and history hl by themselves are a strong backbone for becoming a lawyer and you are already advantaged.

I hope this helps :)

Edited by turquoiseblue

Hi,

I would recommend you to take biology SL. I am in my final year of diploma and I have biology HL and I have seen people in chemistry suffering for not understanding chemistry. The reason why you should actually opt for Bio SL should be, as you earlier said that you are good at bio but you are only scared if you will have to memorise a lot of stuff. Then trust me, no, you will not have to memorise a lot of stuff. The reason I am liking biology is because of its portion. It's well-balanced and well divided so it does not look like a pressure on you which helps in the understanding of the whole unit.

PS if you take bio, try to finish the whole course by yourself in the first year itself, complete IA by November and study for the finals