Sign in to follow this  

Is this a okay reference from my drama tutor?

Hi, i've been taking part in 2 school theatre drama productions and I need a reference from a person who is familiar with my work for US colleges. I am not applying for theatre, but I would like to include the drama supplement so that it reflects my personal skills

I attached the reference from my arts tutor, but i'm not sure if it's sufficient (length and elaboration wise); furthermore the guidelines for this reference in the common application is not clear:

''You must also have an instructor who is familiar with your work send a letter of recommendation to
the institutions to which you submit this supplement.''

''Please upload a letter of recommendation from an arts instructor who is familiar
with your work. ''

I am in good terms with my drama tutor so it wouldn't be a problem to ask her to write somethin more if that is neccessary

Thanks for any input

You definitely need more than that. Preferably if the teacher could put in an example where you showed thinking on your feet or good problem solving skills or even empathy. I will put up the recommendation my ex used who is now at Duke, unless she already sent it to you?

[quote name='blindpet' post='28798' date='Nov 22 2008, 04:15 PM']You definitely need more than that. Preferably if the teacher could put in an example where you showed thinking on your feet or good problem solving skills or even empathy. I will put up the recommendation my ex used who is now at Duke, unless she already sent it to you?[/quote]

Thanks! Please do

She seems too busy to reply to me; I've only received one e-mail from her...

This isn't the final but it'll give you a good idea. This was translated from Danish by me and tweaked to sound professional :( .

The undersigned has a thorough acquaintance with Charlotte on many levels/in several aspects. I have had the privilege of teaching charlotte in Danish and have been her supervisor and contact person at the boarding school. Moreover I have – in my position as CAS Coordinator for IB – a familiarity and admiration for her extracurricular activities. On the academic level, Charlotte has a limitless capacity. She is extremely ambitious, works goal-oriented, independently academic and studiously. She is also among the IB teachers characterized as one of the school’s best students.

In educational environments she is dynamic and always prepared to give the best and most eloquent grounds/reason verbally, literary and psychological analyses and in discussions consistently maneuvers on a high level of abstraction. Her approach to the courses is therefore academic and with her professionalism and natural leadership, an asset to any academic institution. She craves/desires intellectual discussions and is extremely quick in the scholastic (rest of sentence is missing for some reason)

In the communicative/verbal field Charlotte displays/embodies unique talent/ability/skill. She masters 3 languages fully which she integrates daily in her verbal and written communication. She has a fundamental understanding of linguistic structures and is able to utilize them in order to open the gates of communication in the international environment at the boarding school.
Charlotte’s work habits are worth mentioning. She always prioritizes her coursework and assignments; and constantly seeks academic challenges which can never be too large.

On the personal level she has exceptional qualities for a student her age. In my 21 years as an educator I have never met a student with a humanistic capacity as large as Charlotte’s. She has always been able to acclimate to new cultures and what they encompass such as norms and brand new cultural expressions. She is – (at the boarding school and gymnasium an innovator, someone who takes initiative for new endeavors that have graced the institutions with an uplifting and liberating effect that gladdens all involved. For instance she is the dance instructor for a very successful dance team which she founded and managed autonomously. Moreover she has – because of her empathy for all walks of life – become one of the boarding school’s most central figures, when her fellow students are in conflict they know Charlotte’s door is always open. Succinctly, she has functioned as a social advisor/counselor at the boarding school.

With the background of the (previously mentioned)/aforementioned, she has had a substantial impact on the boarding school’s social environment, precisely because she is able to temporarily disregard herself and be tolerant, helpful and a great listener in (order to cater)/relation to other students. Last but not least, she has a great sense of humor.

In the creativity arena Charlotte is exceptionally bright/gifted. She has a pronounced body-awareness, engages in sports activities and is exquisitely talented in art. She is able to pass her creativity on to her classmates and thus helps to develop their appreciation and practice of art.

I have had many long and intense conversations with Charlotte. She is exciting, open and giving with a reservoir of warmth and respect that never seems to dwindle. I predict a serious career in any area she chooses to study as she has the ambition and mindset to bring all of her pursuits to fruition and a further development in her humanistic potential.