IB required in US?

ammyyyyyyy1116

Hi, I applied to US university and got offers. When I applied, my transcripts were shown in ib grades and I also gave my predict. 

The ib policy of the school I want to go is like this:

Students in IB programs may receive up to eight semester credits for each higher-level (HL) subject passed with a grade of five or higher. 

We encourage IB students to earn the full IB diploma.

-Those who earn the full IB diploma with 30 or more diploma points may receive eight semester credits for each higher level (HL) subject with grades of five or higher 

-IB students may receive up to two semester credits for some standard level subjects with grades of five or higher.

so does this mean that even if unfortunately I fail to get diploma (hope this won't happen!😕), my offer won't be rescinded since the school just encourage us to earn diploma?  

Btw, I know us university take seriously on students' senior grade and high school graduation certificate, but my school doesn't grant final grades+ certification based on our final ib results 

Pretty  curious about this question because I heard US universities don't really care if you really get the diploma. They care more about ur gpa and sat and Ib is for credits.

Thanks for the reply!!! 😊 

What did your offer say? If it specifically mentions, you must successfully receive the IB diploma, then yes, you need the diploma. If it mentions that you must receive X points, then I doubt the diploma is necessary (though you'd be hardpressed to find a school that accepts a total score below the minimum of 28)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rosalina said:

What did your offer say? If it specifically mentions, you must successfully receive the IB diploma, then yes, you need the diploma. If it mentions that you must receive X points, then I doubt the diploma is necessary (though you'd be hardpressed to find a school that accepts a total score below the minimum of 28)

Hi Rosalina, the offer doesn't say anything or any required points for IB, so does this mean that ib isn't a requirement?

thanks again!

Speaking from domestic application experience, US unis are super weird with IB credits.

If you received an acceptance letter, you're in. (Barring you don't fail high school or your grades don't drop significantly.) The US generally doesn't do conditional offers, it's all or nothing. The IB exam results only affect whether or not you get transfer credits. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IB_taking_over said:

Speaking from domestic application experience, US unis are super weird with IB credits.

If you received an acceptance letter, you're in. (Barring you don't fail high school or your grades don't drop significantly.) The US generally doesn't do conditional offers, it's all or nothing. The IB exam results only affect whether or not you get transfer credits. 

Great help! Thanks IB_taking_over^_^