Help with IB subject choices

prite

Hi, I'm doing IGCSE at the moment, and it is a few days away from finalising my IB choices for Year 12 and 13. At first, I was thinking of choosing

HL: Physics/Economics/Math

SL: Eng A Lang and Lit/ Mandarin B/ Chemistry

However, I am having some trouble deciding my major. Currently, I want to study Mathematics in university, but I'm not certain that my mind won't change in 2 years. 

I am stuck between these two sets of IB subject choices:

1) HL: Physics/ Economics/ Math SL: Eng A Lang and Lit/ Mandarin B/ Chemistry

2) HL: Physics/ Chemistry/ Math SL: Eng A Lang and Lit/ Mandarin B/ Economics

I wanted to leave open the possibility of engineering major.

However, the university counsellors in my school told me that Chemistry HL is not essential for engineering. They said the requirements for engineering are Math and Physics HL, not Chemistry HL, except chemical engineering. Still, I wanted to open up the chances of various engineering. 

Well, and there's a contradiction in other students' opinions on Economics and Chemistry HL.

Some told me that there is not much gap between Economics HL and SL, while there is a huge gap between Chemistry HL and SL. Is this true?

Others told me that Economics HL have much more workloads(especially ESSAYS) than Economics SL, and it is better to choose Chemistry HL and Economics SL in order to reduce workloads. Is this true?

Thank you:)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where you are from, however in Canada, many universities won't consider IB HL courses as a university credit, because they believe it is not sufficient enough to actually cover all the materials in that certain course. Which is true partially. So honestly they simply look at the mark you get in your HL course, I say take whichever you think you will do better and succeed in but at the same time enjoy it. IB is hard.... and you may not get much sleep so I think it's important to actually do the courses you enjoy.