Can my school reject my IB choices?

incognito90

If you are okay with answering, is there any reason you would suspect they might reject your idea? Because it seems as though you are prepared enough to take the class. Or is it just that your school knows that it is hard and thus it is highly selective over who gets to take it?

6 hours ago, incognito90 said:

I want to take HL maths but my school might reject my choice. I am very aware how hard it is and I have been preparing for it on my own on top of my IGCSE. But my school will just not trust me. I wanna do HL maths because my computer science university requires it. 

It seems like a coherent and thought idea, I dont see why your school would reject it, based on not trusting you. If you have informed and grasped you need that subject for your career aspirations, then it is implicit your plans do have a rational and logical motive behind it. However, even though the IB is the "supreme"  judge, you must be submitted to the internal rules of the school at which your studying in, for the school's ideology does not totally wither away. For example, in more conservative schools you might be offered a certain spectrum of subjects to take different than a more liberal school, which might provide more artistic and "unusual" subjects. They might not also give much margin for students to change their subjects in the middle of the course; it happened with me: I was not allowed to start taking Visual Arts in the end of the 1st year, even though I thought it could comply with my personal skills and appetences and at the same time with my future aspirations (Literature, in some way it is similar, both are arts that provide you a more abstract sense of interpretation). It depends on how you discuss and present your arguments, how "far" you are at the IB course and the school's availability to offer that subject. I would advise you, when going to discuss it with your coordinator, go with calm and always make sure you give the school the due attention, and not come up with the voracious argument: BUT IT IS ALLOWED IN THE IB, I AM GOING TO GO TALK TO THEM RIGHT AWAY, THEY WILL DECIDE.

Cheers! 

I don't know for sure, but it could be that your school is being extremely selective because they are aware of how hard it is. My school discourages anyone with a mark below 80% (maybe 90%, can't remember) from doing HL math. I think it's worth trying to get in considering your effort. 

Your school might also allow you to do this, but you should check first: you can take a fourth HL subject, which allows you to drop HL math to SL at any time without having to drop IB in case you find the course too hard. And, if you're doing fine in HL math, you can also drop one of your extra HL courses to SL if the workload is too much. Some schools might be against this, so keep that in mind.

Good luck