Richard Stifler

Hey guys,

What university do you think I should go for?

I have applied to English Literature and Creative Writing in the following institutions: University of Kent and Lancaster (in which I got from both an unconditional offer and could try to easily go for a 2.000 pounds a year scholarship), Warwick (conditional and requests 38 p), Surrey (34 p) and finally Edinburgh which hasn't replied yet.

Honestly, I am more inclined to either Kent or Lancaster. My main criterion isn't the prestige, it has never been, otherwise I could have applied to institutions considered to be more prestigious such as UCL or St. Andrews, but I prefer a cozy and passionate environment, for I am a foreign student who is applying to a rigorous and very specific course. On the other hand, prestige isn't relegated totally, I mean the institutions I applied to might not be the most illustrious but indeed are not below top 20 of the UK. I also checked the UK univ ranking and Warwick was considered to be the best with lancaster on its tail. I also dug in to search for the best at the literature area and all were astonishingly well, with Lancaster, Warwick and Kent excelling. What is also encouraging me to go for Kent, besides the rather positive reviews I got from students I know there and the cozy environment, its the degree: it s slightly different its English and American Literature and Creative Writing with a year abroad. The US is one of the main destinies I am thinking about going to to live and knowing about its Literature or incurring in a year abroad in the US would be an auspicious factor for me to then settle there as a writer. What do you think I should do?  

• 3 weeks later...