What science courses to take for future biomedical engineering major

crycry

Hello,

I'm a high school junior taking IB physics HL, math HL, chemistry HL, Business HL, English SL and Korean SL. I want to study biomedical engineering in university so I chose to do double science. Logically, I would have to choose biology and physics, but my school is pretty small and they didn't offer physics and biology together. The only combinations were physics-chemistry or biology-chemistry. I thought physics would be more useful for me since I wish to study more of a mechanical engineering side of biomedical engineering, but I'm worried that I might have a disadvantage just by the fact that I didn't take biology. Can anybody tell me whether or not that could affect my admission? Also, would there be a way to indicate in my college application that I wasn't able to take biology just because of my school policy? 

Thanks

Nice to see another aspiring biomedical engineer here!!!

What schools are you looking at, and what are their admission requirements? In Canada at least, every engineering program requires chemistry and physics, so I think that's your best option. To my knowledge only a few schools require bio for biomedical engineering, so it's possible to be accepted without it. 

You can can also look at taking a biology course over the summer/online from your local school board of bio is required. That's what I did with physics.