What should my last sl be?

Aerithya

Help with sl choice please  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Chem or bio sl

Which sl would be better for my application into law school, and open up more career choices, chemistry sl or biology sl? Assuming that my interests and abilities in those two subjects are similar :") My hls would be sth like English history or maybe economics. Oh, and what are the changes of getting into med school without biology hl and only chemistry hl? Thanks in advance 

Edited by Aerithya

It honestly couldn't matter less. Law school won't care which science you took at SL. Just choose what you prefer. Biology is more memorising, Chem more understanding concepts. That's about it. For med school, I believe you need 2 sciences at HL, but check with unis directly. 

On 3/1/2017 at 0:02 PM, Aerithya said:

Which sl would be better for my application into law school, and open up more career choices, chemistry sl or biology sl? Assuming that my interests and abilities in those two subjects are similar :") My hls would be sth like English history or maybe economics. Oh, and what are the changes of getting into med school without biology hl and only chemistry hl? Thanks in advance 

Law and medicine are two different stories. Most of the prestigious law schools in the UK, for instance, require just an essay-based subject to get into their law degree. This could mean just taking English Lit or Lang Lit, History, etc. Economics, I feel, is a good bonus as well. Law doesn't require sciences at all so they won't be looking at your science subject, pick whatever you feel will be easier to achieve good grades with if you like both of them. From experiences told by my friends, chemistry is slightly harder, but of course, that can differ between people.

If you're going for medicine though, you have to take one of the sciences to have a chance at getting in. It's a requirement. Chemistry and biology are both great, but it depends on what uni and where you're aspiring to get into.

If you're still deciding on what you want to pursue in university, discuss your options with your IB coordinator and academic counsellor.

Hope I helped and good luck with everything :) 

• Like 1

On 01/03/2017 at 9:04 PM, Gaby said:

It honestly couldn't matter less. Law school won't care which science you took at SL. Just choose what you prefer. Biology is more memorising, Chem more understanding concepts. That's about it. For med school, I believe you need 2 sciences at HL, but check with unis directly. 

Thanks for the advice! One question: does economics hl add a lot to my application (tiebreaker?)when I already have eng and history hl, or should I put in something to show variety such as biology hl? At this stage, I'm liking biology a bit more (but again I've only done a few lessons on econ)and doing somewhat better in it too. I'm only choosing electives right now, determining hl it sl would be a year later. For someone who is aiming for law but wants to keep doors open for medicine, would you suggest

A. chemistry biology history (in which I can switch chem bio eng to hl if I decide on med and eng hist bio if law) or

B. chemistry economics history, (in which I can do chem econ eng for med and eng econ hist for law)?

I'm a more humanities person if that helps, and the med school I like only requires chem hl, tho bio hl is highly recommended due to fierce competition. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance! 

Edited by Aerithya