Hello everyone

I am trying to start my revision for geography hl for may 2017 exam. But  I don't know what notes to use. (I didn't really take notes during classes)

I have the Geography Study guide by Garrett Nagel. 

So here's my question:

1- would learning the study guide by heart be enough for preparing the exam? 

2- how should I study the case studies? Also does anyone have list of case studies for geo hl?    BECAUSE I KNOW CASE STUDIES ARE SUPER IMPORTANT BUT I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONES TO USE FOR WHICH TOPICS T.T

Any help would be really appreciated!!!      Those who are preparing for the may exam or who have done the IB, PLEASE give me some tips!!!

• 2 weeks later...

In answer to your first question, it really depends what you are aiming for. Learning the study guide by heart is enough to pass the exam (to score a 4), but anything beyond that requires you to be able to interpret information, analyse data, and write essay questions - especially on Paper 3. So I'd try to find some additional resources, and practise past papers.

I'm in the first year of IB, but we have an amazing geography teacher at our school. She has the following website with lots of materials and notes on the course:

buddinggeographers.wikispaces.com

I also created a site with some notes and essays on Changing Space- The Shrinking World (HL extension) and I'm developing a similar page for Populations in Transition.

https://igcsegeography.wordpress.com/ib-geography-hl/time-space-convergence/

Other great sites I like a lot include:

greenfieldgeography.wikispaces.com

thegeographeronline.net

Now for your second question, I think the value of case studies is being overestimated by some people, as you only really need a little bit of information on those in the essay questions in Section B of Paper 1 (if I am not mistaken), Paper 2 and Paper 3. These essay questions test your understanding of the theory - which is most important - and only then do you need examples to back up your claims.

I don't have a complete list of all the case studies, but for populations in transition the case studies could look something like:

Anti-natal policy - One Family One Child Policy in China from 1979 to 2015

Pro-natal policy - France

High birth rate - Uganda

Low birth rate - Germany

High life expectancy - Finland

Low life expectancy - Sudan

High infant mortality rate/ maternal mortality rate - Sudan

High literacy rate - Finland

Imbalanced gender ratio - China

Internal migration - China

International migration - Syria to Germany

( I hope I didn't miss any and that I've answered your questions) ;)

Yours,

astonky