Rejected from the University of Edinburgh with 43 points and 776 at HL

maturk

Hi

I just wanted to vent. I had 776 at HL and a total of 43 (Math hl 6 and physics hl 7) points but still got rejected from the University of Edinburgh Engineering H100 course. It was my dream college and I'm really in shock right now. I just don't know what to do with my life...

I'm sharing this because I feel like **** right now and I though others would like to know. I feel like I worked hard for nothing.  

• Like 1

Dont worry pal same here too. Only I had 36 points, with 666 HLs. My academic aspiration is to study Literature, but it did not kill me, they took long to reply and all other universities provided me interesting with offers. I had made my decision, more less, when Edinburgh replied. Furthermore, if you check the rankings the univ of Edinburgh fell a lot (from top 10 to top 30s... which is way to much in just a couple of years). Not saying it is a bad university, obviously not, but you can invest in other arising universities or that have maintained its place on top along the years.

Check this website with rankings for UK institutions https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings#allSubjects

Also, there are universities that people claim to also have good conditions and ambience, Idk maybe you could see Warwick, Lancaster or Imperial College (for engineering is one of the best). What would be your option b university, by the way?   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard Stifler said:

Dont worry pal same here too. Only I had 36 points, with 666 HLs. My academic aspiration is to study Literature, but it did not kill me, they took long to reply and all other universities provided me interesting with offers. I had made my decision, more less, when Edinburgh replied. Furthermore, if you check the rankings the univ of Edinburgh fell a lot (from top 10 to top 30s... which is way to much in just a couple of years). Not saying it is a bad university, obviously not, but you can invest in other arising universities or that have maintained its place on top along the years.

Check this website with rankings for UK institutions https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings#allSubjects

Also, there are universities that people claim to also have good conditions and ambience, Idk maybe you could see Warwick, Lancaster or Imperial College (for engineering is one of the best). What would be your option b university, by the way?   

Sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful as well. Yeah, rejection really sucks, I didn't think I'd be this down about it.

Interesting that it's rank has dropped. I wonder why.

I applied to Imperial and UCL. Haven't heard from either yet but I don't have high hopes considering they're tougher to get into than Edinburgh. I got an offer from Glasgow which is nice. Thinking about going there now that my first choice is no longer an option. 

What university would your back up be? 

1 minute ago, maturk said:

Sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful as well. Yeah, rejection really sucks, I didn't think I'd be this down about it.

Interesting that it's rank has dropped. I wonder why.

I applied to Imperial and UCL. Haven't heard from either yet but I don't have high hopes considering they're tougher to get into than Edinburgh. I got an offer from Glasgow which is nice. Thinking about going there now that my first choice is no longer an option. 

What university would your back up be? 

Well, I am more inclined to go for either Lancaster or Kent, which offered me unconditional offers, so really Edinburgh even they had accepted me I think I wouldnt consider it now. Warwick is also thought to have elevated prestige and a nice environment as well, which is, I confess, the main criteria for me not just the prestige and rankings.

Cheers, pal! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richard Stifler said:

Well, I am more inclined to go for either Lancaster or Kent, which offered me unconditional offers, so really Edinburgh even they had accepted me I think I wouldnt consider it now. Warwick is also thought to have elevated prestige and a nice environment as well, which is, I confess, the main criteria for me not just the prestige and rankings.

Cheers, pal! 

Good luck :D