Best subjects to attain the 7

Hey mates,

I am now studying and revising for my mock exams. Yeah its time for the May 2017 exams, unfortunately.

So what do you think are the best subjects, not only from the ones I am taking (see below on my signature) but also other subjects to help out for other people, what do you think are the subjects that are more prone for you to attain a 7 with a hard and constant study? And high grades (5 or 6)?

You can comment on your situation and how you are feeling with it, or the main "criteria" to get elevated marks. 

• Like 1

I think language B you're fluent at is quite easy to get a 7 in. 

Geography SL is quite an easy 6 or 7 as well. Know your case studies, make specifics up (not all, obviously) and you're good to go. 

From the subjects I take I'd say german, geography, and chemistry are the subjects I struggle the least with. For chemistry I practice quite often and it does the trick (for now, at least :P). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Richard Stifler said:

Actually, English B is thought to be one of the hardest subjects to get the 7. What marks are you getting so far?

Oh well since I am a first year and I switched to the subject after Christmas, the grade that I got so far was a 7 on the mock exam that we had (have not gotten back any other assignment). Of course, it might be that my grades will drop when I really have to hand in the "proper" written assignment (and any other final assignment), or when I do the real exam of course (hope not though :hisfault:). The thing is that the classes that we have are really chill as well, like we listen to songs and practise for the final assignments that we will be doing in the second year, so that is also another reason for me liking the subject as much as I do as well. 

Edited by dreamyslife

31 minutes ago, dreamyslife said:

Oh well since I am a first year and I switched to the subject after Christmas, the grade that I got so far was a 7 on the mock exam that we had (have not gotten back any other assignment). Of course, it might be that my grades will drop when I really have to hand in the "proper" written assignment (and any other final assignment), or when I do the real exam of course (hope not though :hisfault:). The thing is that the classes that we have are really chill as well, like we listen to songs and practise for the final assignments that we will be doing in the second year, so that is also another reason for me liking the subject as much as I do as well. 

Ahahah 100% efficiency, mate! 1 test 1 7 sniper mode, nice!

I am striving for the 7 as well on English B, but the teacher has warned us most grades lie on the 6, those who get 7 really put an effort to it, maybe I just dont know how to really make an effort for language B! I have had 2 mock exams and in both had 5+ on my paper 1 (ausshhh) and 6+ on my paper 2.

• Like 1

Specific case for Economics HL vs SL - this choice definitely favours HL, and can provide a relatively 'easy' 7 for an HL. The apparent reasoning behind this is in the paper 3, containing HL-specific content. How is this different from any other HL?

The catch is, paper 3 in economics is VERY basic calculations, scoring you easy marks. Intuitively, having three papers will mean that each paper is worth less compared to SL, containing only two papers. Do well in P3 gives you more room to screw up in P1 and P2.

I'm going to go against the grain and say math HL for me.  Didn't study much at all, did my own stuff in class, just did a couple questions before each exam, and I usually get decent scores (90%+).  Granted, I did do lots of math before the IB too, so that's probably why.  

Hard to say as to which subject's the easiest to score a 7 in since the ones I took, at least for me, are pretty hard to maintain 7s in.

If I gotta choose though, would agree with @mac117 and say Chem HL's relatively the easiest since there's relatively less content. Nothing nets you that 7 as well as the Pearson textbook.

Indonesian B SL's not too hard to score highly, but the problem's that the boundary for a 7 is about 90%, meaning you have extremely tiny room to screw up; examiners are retarded in making the Paper 1s: either typos/grammatical errors making questions vague and hard to understand what its asking, or just being overly tricky with them. 

Bio & Econ HLs have ludicrous amounts of content, making it hard to stay on top of the material.

Maths SL becomes very manageable once you've mastered all the topics, but I still struggle with Probability & Bearings. 

• Like 2

In my school, the general consensus is that biology SL/HL is the easiest science - we even have 2 people who have changed from physics to biology very recently. But like people say, it depends on what you're passionate in. Some people who take physics in our school are physics geniuses and would probably get like 4-5 in biology because they hate it with a burning passion hehe :P I think chemistry is somewhere in between, as it requires MUCH more studying time than biology does (for me).

I also take Norwegian B and honestly, all B languages feel like paradise if you are somewhat fluent. I am Russian, but I've been living here for 7-8 years and this is one of my "favourite" subjects as we do very little in class and there is 0 stress. 

Psychology SL seems pretty neat as well so far, as long as you are okay with writing essays and memorising. You basically know all your exam questions (they're more or less the learning outcomes that you find in your textbook) so if you have the time and the brain power to create essays for at least some of them and memorise them - then you're probably set. 

Edited by myjn
  • Like 1

I agree that "B" languages seem to be a paradise and a zero-stress zone which is great to have as a counteracting force to subjects like HL Physics. However, this truly depends on the school and the student.  In my school the consensus is that HL Physics and HL Maths are the hardest subjects and English B and Arabic B (which I'm taking) are the easiest as most students are fluent in each. As I am taking HL Physics (getting a high 4 with minimal effort which I'm not so proud of) I can say that for all HL subjects its not as much about the difficulty of the content or material but rather managing your time to make sure you put in the effort to  keep up with the facts you learn in class each day- which can be hard to do with 5 other subjects looming on your plate. This also relies on the student. I'm more inclined to enjoy writing for English A: Literature and Performance than to practice solving maths, just because it comes more naturally for me. 

My favorite subjects happen to be the interdisciplinary courses. So thats English A Literature and Performance SL (getting a 6 aiming for 7) and Environmental Systems and Societies (getting a 6 aiming for 7) . I'm biased when I say connecting things is the best way to learn but thats really just what I think makes things so interesting. So in Lit and Perf we learn all about literature  AND theatre which TO ME is the coolest thing ever. And since I already have fairly good writing skills its easy for me hone these skills accordingly. In ESS we connect scientific ideas with human sciences which flows logically in my head. So overall, I would advise anyone to do what they love and enjoy the most with some consideration to their skills. Forget the difficulty level for a minute and try to identify what learning approach you "vibe" with the best. Sometimes the subject you're interested in most doesn't come so easily and naturally which is okay and simply means you'll need to maximize your efforts to assimilate with it. However, its worth noting that you shouldn't waste a single second in the IB program. I'm interested in possibly pursuing something in the sciences so I took Chemistry HL in my first year which I did not "vibe" with from the beginning. My persistent nature kept me in the course but I wish I hadn't wasted so much of my time. From my experience I can share  that its important for anyone to assess themselves before choosing a subject and learn to appreciate their way of absorbing information because in the end it could lead to your path in the future for university or whatever you end up choosing to do after graduating :) 

• Like 1