Sign in to follow this  

History

How is the evaluation of sources supposed to fit in the EE?

I had a look at several EEs in history that received an A and 2 of them put all their evaluations into the footers :D

Is this okay? Especially for the new 2009 EE syllabus?

I was thinking of putting all my evaluation under one heading called ''Evaluation'' just before the analysis and conclusion

But I may run out of words, so is it really okay to put ur entire evaluation into the footers?

Also, if I used 25 sources of videos+books (which I did) am I really supposed to evaluate (origin,purpose,limitation,value) every single one of them? (i did that and it takes around 1300 words) Or should I maybe just focus on 5 or 6 of the most important (i.e. the ones I reference 3 or more times)?

I highly doubt that IB can expect you to evaluate 25 sources, that is completely unrealistic. My history teacher said to evaluate 2-3 of my most important sources. I was told that I could either put the evaluation of sources within the essay when I am talking about the particular topic involving the source, or at the end after my conclusion.

I'm not positive that he is "right", since I haven't' found IB literature verifying his information. However he has been quite knowledgeable about other IB issues so take it for what it is worth.

I'm doing my EE on history and the way I'm introducing my evaluation of sources (around 3, the ones i used the most) is just by making comments on the sources after using them throughout the EE. For example "We can see how AUTHOR views the issue with the next quote: QUOTE. However, it's important to point out the fact that his view may be affected by X, Y and Z, and hence we cannot rely on him completely".

I did evaluation along the way. After I talked about a historian's point of view, I would then say something like "however, ________ may be biased in that blah blah blah". But I didn't do this for every historian, just the ones where I focus a lot on.

And for a history EE, you're not really supposed to have headings, it should be a fluid essay.

WOW you actually evaluated all of your sources!

i did it along the way too

i evaluated lengthy for two of my sources (lengthy = 100 ish words)

and then i just added a sentence or two upon mention of the other sources

you really don't have the words to evalutae everything

btw, are you planning to put headings (!) like the history IA?

like 'summary of evidence', 'evalutaion of sources', 'analysis', 'conclusion'?

please don't do that, a history EE is supposed to be a flowing essay, the IA is of slightly different format and NATURE to the history EE

EE is more like a realistic thesis where students in university write, while IA is just one (at least in my opinion) 2000 word document which kind of puts the segments (forcefully) together because it doesn't exactly 'flow'.

if you have any questions, just message me!