SL Lit vs SL LangLit for Uni?

TheNikawi

Hi guys, 

As I'm currently in the process of choosing my IB courses for next year, I was wondering what are the main differences between SL Lit vs SL LangLit in terms of the actual course and assessment? There seems to be a general consensus that a 7 in SL Lit is near impossible and that LangLit is the logical choice. However, I have heard that universities prefer students who have taken SL Lit. Can someone please verify this? 

For context, I'm a STEM oriented student taking Math, Physics, and Econ at HL and I am not sure whether taking SL Lit would take too much time off these already difficult subjects.

Thanks!

I definitely would recommend SL LangLit in your case. I am a rather STEM student myself (though I love languages :P ) and find LangLit very interesting and engaging. There's less pressure on literary analysis, and the amount of books you have to read is lower as well (I am reading 3 books and 20-ish poems for my course, compared to something like 8-9 books for SL Lit). SL Lit is in no way shape or form needed for your future career and would therefore only distract you from the tough HLs you chose.

Hope this helps!