If i get a 3 on the Chem IA...

rawan1408

I'm realllllly struggling with my chemistry IA. My experiment was too easy and I'm not finding anything to write about. Anyway, if i get a 3 on this IA and get a 7 on all 3 papers, can I still get a 7 overall in Chemistry SL?? I think the worst I could get on this IA is a 3 but I might be able to do better.

Edited by rawan1408

Just for the sake of it, I'm going to finish the sentence in your topic.  

Going by the May 2016 grade boundaries here (they are often quite similar over the years) and using some rough math: 

Let's assume worst-case scenario, where you obtain 30% (minimum mark for a 3) for your IA.  That's going to mean you obtain 0.3*20=6% of your total marks (IAs are worth 20% in the sciences).  Cutoff for 7 in SL is 76% overall.  You already 'have' 6%, so out of the 80% in your final exam, you 'need' 70/80, which means you'll need to get 87.5% in your final exam.  So to finish your sentence, you can definitely still get a 7, if you score above 87.5% in your final exams across all papers.  

Anyways, I'm fairly certain that's how it works.  So to sum it up, don't fret if you have a bad IA - there's still a fairly good chance of obtaining a 7 provided you study hard and well (doing past papers, reviewing material relatively frequently etc.).  

• Like 1