What should I choose for iB if I want to major architecture? (Please help ㅜㅜ)

ikonic

Hello, I am willing to major architecture in uni im currently doing GCSE and is worried about my iB choices. 

Im taking Maths HL, Art HL, Korean SL, English Lang & Lit SL for sure. 

but I am confused about whether I should choose Physics as my Higher or Business/ Econ as my higher. 

My current GCSE mock exam results are:

Physics B, English B, Art A, Maths A+ (currently doing additional maths got A....), Enterprise A/B

But I am going to try hard to get A/A+ for Physics and A for English, A+ for Art. 

My questions are...

1. Should I take Physics or Business or Econ for my HL?

- benefits and disadvantages of each choice

2. Should I take Business or Econ if I want to major architecture? (keep in mind the fact that I did enterprise instead of econ in GCSE)

3. Is there a big difference between...

a) Econ HL and Econ SL?

b) Business HL and Business SL?

c) Physics HL and Physics SL?

thank you sooo much of your help

im like literally dying...ㅜㅜㅜ

Hi there,

Your current choices are great. Math HL and Art HL are good subjects to apply to architecture with. I'm quite sure the rest doesn't play a significant role. I've got 2 people in my Visual Arts class who are applying to architecture degrees and they both take Visual Art HL and Math HL :)

You can go for either Business or Economics. Generally, there aren't many differences between HL and SL in the IB. It just means that HL does more hours and studies a bit more course content than SL.

If you'd like, you can even begin researching universities to help you get an understanding of what is expected. If you're planning on studying in the UK for example, looking at the top ranking universities, you can see the entry requirements. Obviously, I've picked one of the best unis for Architecture... but you can research any uni you want. Cambridge (http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/architecture), for example, isn't looking for specific courses but you need a portfolio that shows various skills in architecture when applying. They are looking for at least 40-42 IB points though (776 in HLs) so it's quite tough (keep in mind it's a prestigious uni). That's why it's important to pick subjects that you like so that you'll be more motivated to do well for your final grades. I'm sure these requirements are similar across various unis and countries.

I suggest that you spend some time looking around for potential unis you'd like to apply to. If you need more help, feel free to ask or you can go to your school's academic counsellor.

Hope I helped and I wish you the best of luck in the IB :)

Edited by sodonewithib
  • Like 1

Hey!

sodonewithib has good points, I agree! Also, if you feel the need to, you probably won't even have to do maths HL. We were told that SL covers all university careers unless you want to become a physician or mathematician. Just in case you want to change :) Also, you can still change once you've begun the IB! if you find something particularly hard or not what you expected, its possible to switch even quite late in. Obviously depending on how far in you may have to catch up but everything is not set in stone for the first couple of months for sure!

Finally, like the above comment says, check out courses or universities you're interested in, have a look around and see what IB qualifications they require. Some may be quite lenient, others which are more ambitious goals may have a couple of requirements... but not too many I would presume. Definitely scope around! It should help with your choice

Good Luck!

J.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sodonewithib said:

Hi there,

Your current choices are great. Math HL and Art HL are good subjects to apply to architecture with. I'm quite sure the rest doesn't play a significant role. I've got 2 people in my Visual Arts class who are applying to architecture degrees and they both take Visual Art HL and Math HL :)

You can go for either Business or Economics. Generally, there aren't many differences between HL and SL in the IB. It just means that HL does more hours and studies a bit more course content than SL.

If you'd like, you can even begin researching universities to help you get an understanding of what is expected. If you're planning on studying in the UK for example, looking at the top ranking universities, you can see the entry requirements. Obviously, I've picked one of the best unis for Architecture... but you can research any uni you want. Cambridge (http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/architecture), for example, isn't looking for specific courses but you need a portfolio that shows various skills in architecture when applying. They are looking for at least 40-42 IB points though (776 in HLs) so it's quite tough (keep in mind it's a prestigious uni). That's why it's important to pick subjects that you like so that you'll be more motivated to do well for your final grades. I'm sure these requirements are similar across various unis and countries.

I suggest that you spend some time looking around for potential unis you'd like to apply to. If you need more help, feel free to ask or you can go to your school's academic counsellor.

Hope I helped and I wish you the best of luck in the IB :)

Thank You Sooooo Much! I'm still wondering whether business or econ would be suitable for me... hahah

8 hours ago, xxjojayxx said:

Hey!

sodonewithib has good points, I agree! Also, if you feel the need to, you probably won't even have to do maths HL. We were told that SL covers all university careers unless you want to become a physician or mathematician. Just in case you want to change :) Also, you can still change once you've begun the IB! if you find something particularly hard or not what you expected, its possible to switch even quite late in. Obviously depending on how far in you may have to catch up but everything is not set in stone for the first couple of months for sure!

Finally, like the above comment says, check out courses or universities you're interested in, have a look around and see what IB qualifications they require. Some may be quite lenient, others which are more ambitious goals may have a couple of requirements... but not too many I would presume. Definitely scope around! It should help with your choice

Good Luck!

J.

Thank You :) I really appreciate your help! I was so stressed out :( 

• 1 year later...

I'm on the same boat as you and I would recommend taking Physics as an HL.

Most of the reputed universities I've researched require you to take either Math, Physics and Chemistry at HL for architecture (like National University of Singapore). I'm sure most students would be trying their hardest by taking all 3 at HL, but I would recommend taking Art instead of Chemistry from personal experience because most universities require a visual portfolio and taking Art HL pushes you to do your best artworks that you will be able to use for that portfolio.

Second of all, I would recommend also taking History (just at SL) because its really easy to then make an EE or IA related to architecture which you really should aim for because in your interviews for universities, they want to see how much personal engagement you have to the course you're applying for and how knowledgeable or well-rounded you are in different aspects of architecture.

Good Luck!