Should I Stay or Should I Go??

yikessss

Okay. So I am a pre-IB student, in my 9th year of school. I live in one area, but go to a different school 20 minutes from my house due to it being the closest IB school. I will admit, it's pretty disgusting (people & the school in general,) and I play an instrument. Of course, with my luck, the band is pretty ****ty. I'm talking terrible. Almost none of them truly care for music, and it honestly makes me feel very frustrated and embarrassed. An advantage of my new school is that they offer French, which has been my dream language for YEARS. I'm already noticing a huge difference in my speaking and reading comprehension, and I have no doubt that I'd be fluent by the end of my senior year. On the contrary, my zoned school does not offer French. But my zoned school DOES have one of the best music programs in the county, and that means a lot to me. Music is so important to me, and I feel like I'm being deprived of the music knowledge I deserve to recieve at my current school. If I went back to my zoned school, I'd do honours, which I feel would be WAY less stressful, but I wouldn't be able to learn French the way I have been. It honestly makes me so sad, I don't know whether to stay in IB and stress over grades, EEs, IAs, etc. but feel more secure to leave for college, or leave and feel less stressed but also possibly be less successful and fluent in my dream language?  I'd also like to travel abroad, which I can't do in highshool if I'm in IB— can I travel abroad in AP? Please take your time to help, I'm truthfully losing my mind. 

Personally, (and this is just based off the small information I have) I would go to your neighborhood school. I would imagine that music is more difficult to learn without a program, however with most languages, if you really want to learn it badly enough and you have internet access, it is possible to learn it on your own. If your neighborhood school really is better, then you might be able to get it to start a French class if you can get some others interested, or at least start a French or music club after school.

As far as not travelling abroad in the IB Program, I'm not sure if this is a rule you read somewhere or if it is just because of the work load that would prevent travel, but the point of IB is to be international- if you talk to an IB coordinator, they might be able to help you with that. I can't say much about whether or not you should do IB- that is on a person to person basis.

Getting advice from your peers and age group is good, but make sure you also talk to your guidance counselor, as they get paid to give advice on situations like this, and are probably better at it than anyone most people on this site. Cheers!

• Like 5

From my own personal experience in music, it definitely feels a lot better to be in a band that truly appreciates music (from my own comparison between my school orchestra and a youth orchestra).  The very atmosphere is just much more conducive towards higher performance.  Besides that, I'd mostly agree with what@austrianwaffle said.  

• Like 1

I would also have to agree with @austrianwaffle and @SC2Player, if your passion really is french and music and french is the main reason why you would like to stay in IB I would say you should attend your zoned school. I also have a love for language, and some of them are not offered in my school, and i have still been able to handle learning them through online sources such as duolingo as well as the large langblr (tumblr.com search for language blogs). There are many online and extracurricular ways you could still learn french, and have the perks of going to your zoned school. 

• Like 1

I agree with all of the above, for learning languages Rosetta Stone is also a great tool. It's a bit pricey, but you'll also be saving money on IB exams. As for studying abroad, I'd ask the school you're thinking of switching to. My school is an IB school but has a German study abroad program, for example. Best of luck.

• Like 1