IA in forrier transformations

ibnewB

For my IA, my teacher suggested to see if I could model a very easy song using forrier transformations

Would this be a good idea because I am unsure how to go about it? If not, I was interested at looking at projectile motion in cricket (I do physics), but as for the variables I have no idea what would be complex enough to investigate and get good data on. I was also thinking that economic modeling would be interesting to look at (I do ec as well), but not sure how in depth I could take it.

Thanks guy!!!!

ibNewB

Well, first, it's 'Fourier', not 'Forrier'.  It can form a pretty good investigation - probably complicated enough for HL, but not too hard so as to be out of reach.  Also has good personal engagement due to real-world applications.  As always, Wikipedia is a good starting point, and can provide other applications of the Fourier transform, as well as taking a look at it from a more abstract standpoint.  

Projectile motion in cricket is also doable with physics - you could investigate impact of air resistance and model the situation using a differential equation.  Economic modelling could also be good, with similar extensions.