History Extended Essay

CherryB

Hey Guys,

I chose to do my extended essay on history, and am currently really stuck on choosing a topic. I really need an A on my extended essay, because my TOK presentation did not go as expected. Would appreciate all and any inputs regarding any suggestions/ ideas for history ee topics. 

Also, I heard that only 3% of the people in the world get an A in History EE. Is that true? 

Edited by CherryB

I would recommend doing something controversial so you have many perspectives to argue about. I don't know about statics but in my class of 28 I believe only one person got an A (That's including all subjects). It's doable but you have to work hard. Keep the marking scheme in mind when picking as well. Also outline and plan a lot for the EE and keep a log of all your sources as I had a citations issue that took me 4 hours to fix. 

• Like 1

@Grace Taylor Thank you so much for your kind reply. I will definitely consider doing something controversial if i still stick with history.  That is quite an alarming statistic if just one person got an A out of 28. In my school, as far as I know, students score the most in history and literature. 

History is a subject that is the most common and one of the lowest scoring subjects. Just looking at IB's statistical bulletin, the 3% seems improbable. Doing the math you can determine that History EE's make up about half of the Group 3 EE's in total. The average percentage of A's for Group 3 EE's is 7.6%. Thus, we can say conservatively that very likely at least 5% of students in history get A's because (otherwise the difference in scoring between subjects would be extreme). I wrote a post about this though recently and I'll copy what I said in that.

IB publishes a statistical bulletin that helps a bit in determining what how each subject is graded for the EE. History is done by the greatest percentage go candidates, yet it is the statistically the most difficult subject. IB only divides the results by subject Group, but glancing at the graph it seems as though geography is almost graded as harshly as history. It's hard to make a judgement on theatre, but it in general the grading for Group 6 as a whole looks generous. Of course, there are confounding variables. An unprepared student is much more like to decide that he is doing a history essay then a chemistry, math, or theatre essay so I suppose that could be a factor. 

I would recommend doing the subject that you like the most because that will ultimately be the one that is least painful. Trust me, you do not want to work on an essay for nine months and hate the subject. The bulletin is available at http://www.ibo.org/contentassets/bc850970f4e54b87828f83c7976a4db6/dp-statistical-bulletin-may-2016-en.pdf