HL Art as a 7th DP subject?

Topton

1. Hey,
    I'm an IB student currently doing the 5th year of the MYP and moving onto the DP next year. 
    My art teacher has recommended I should take art as I am currently achieving top marks in it and she likes my creativity. 
    I want to study medicine after the DP and therefore need Biology and Chemistry. Since I can't drop either of them, I'm currently considering taking Art HL as a 7th subject.
    My other subjects are:

HL – Chemistry, Biology, Business
    SL – English, German Mother tongue, Math

How hard would it be in light of my other subjects to cope with the extra work?
    Would universities see the extra subject as a sign of me being a hard-worker?
    and if no, should I just do it anyways because I enjoy it and want to challenge myself?

Thanks in advance!

The workload that comes with art HL is huge. Whilst I do not take art myself (and therefore what I say should be taken with a grain of salt) I definitely see my friend struggle with it despite her absolutely loving the subject to bits. She takes 3HLs and a regular diploma with no sciences at HL, so taking 2 science and art HL would probably be very hard to manage and do well in at the same time. Whilst the difficulty of each subject varies from person to person, I can tell you that 2 sciences at HL are not easy.

Since you do not want to pursue an artistic/creative career in the future, I highly recommend you keep doing art as your hobby to unwind from the IB and your HLs rather than make it something that might end up in you absolutely resenting the lone idea of art due to the unnecessary additional workload and stress it will give you. There's no reason not to continue with art as simply something that lets you relax and allows you to do whatever you want to do, without certain aspects needed to be fulfilled for a good grade.

I understand your teacher might be disappointed/sad/mad but in IB you truly have to prioritise your time and spend it wisely in order to do well. 

Good luck.

• Like 3