Art Exhibition Pieces Requirements

veltala

Hello!

So for my art exhibition, I have a piece that features a neon sign with a quote. I designed the quote, the size, color, everything. The company I went to just created the glass neon words and then sent me everything separately. I had to piece everything together myself, from the screwing of the studs that would keep the glass words in place to deciding where all the letter supports would go. I also had to figure out wiring and fitting the plastic cables. Now, 2 days before my exhibition, my teacher is telling me that this can't be counted as a final piece, as I didn't physically make the glass tubing myself, and instead, only the designs could be counted. All the company did was, using my designs that I drew up myself, made the letters. Everything else I did myself. 

Can this be counted in my final exhibition? Im slightly worried now after my teacher went off on me. 

Thank you!!! 

I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that your teacher is right on this one, as the physical work you've done on the piece might be considered more curation related to an examiner.

Maybe you can incorporate other elements to the piece and turn it into an installation? You can maybe also use a 3D modeling program and model the design and then exhibit the neon sign with the design on an ipad or computer below the sign. There was a guy in my class who did this for his architecture style stuff, and it looked pretty good. I'm thinking that since neon is expensive af, you wont want to spend money on a new program so here's a list of some free one's: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/25-free-3d-modelling-applications-you-should-not-miss/

If possible, try and talk with your teacher about what steps you can take to make it count as a piece (because it sounds rad) and, if all else fails, make sure you have enough pieces other than the neon sign to make the requirement.