Bio Study Guide or Course Companion

masson

I hate biology books, whether its the CC or the study guide or the main book why?

because my teacher gives us the BESTTT notes ever, she has been teaching me since 9th grade and im in 11 grade and she taught both my younger brother and older brother she is reallly the BEST teacher in school the best notes she taught me during my IGCSE's and now IB HL she knows the material,i hate studying from the book but sometimes i have to so i got the study guide but honestly study guide is my favorite for only one subject Chemistry, but yea i have the Oxford,IBID,Clegg and study guide ( my bro was ib bio too) but stick with the study guide

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Clegg is great for content

Course companion for Data Based Questions

Study guide for helping you to consolidate knowledge

But honestly, use your syllabus. It tells you exactly what you need to know, so you can be certain you have everything covered. (Plus there are a lot of tips in there and information that your text book won't tell you!)

Oh, and the course companion has TOK which the IBO has been really pushing to be integrated into the science courses, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a TOK question or two in our exams.

my teacher gives us the BESTTT notes ever

Yes. Teacher will always be the best reference. My teacher used to provide notes as well but now it is different. My school score on Biology recently have dropped down. The teacher said that the student was too dependent on the teacher's notes and do not put thorough effort in learning Bio. Therefore, my teacher decided not to give notes anymore. Instead we have to find the notes ourselves and present it to the class. Everyone is more alert now as the teacher will just call anyone to present the topic.

Right now we are learning the option Topic. My school chose option E and H. How about you guys?

• 3 weeks later...

The course companion is good for really summarizing the concepts so that you understand them but when it comes to the details that IB is so meticulous about, it really doesnt give you enough whereas textbooks usually have more detail even if their explanation about the concept is more complex. But I think having both gives you the best of both worlds. You now have one book that sums up the concepts for you to understand easily and then you have the textbook that adds on to that giving you the details. That's what I do and I find that it really helps for tests and quizzes.

Hope that helped!

Study guides work... but don't offer much depth.

Biology: Concepts & Connections (Campbell)

... MASSIVE book... Not related to IB diploma.. so have to look each topic up... but its all there...

You won't find better explanations or diagrams.. And the extra knowledge gained will help you if you continue through to uni.

• 4 weeks later...

The Tiger book!

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subj...i=9780199151455

by Allott & Allott.

They also do an excellent study guide/textbook which is more condensed.

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subj...i=9780199151431

(also by Allott and Allott)

These books have everything in you could ever want. You'll never need to buy anything extra (:

i recommend study guides because they are usually in dot points and the diagrams are very clear.. however if you want detailed examples try course companions as they give lots of examples that relates to real life. However course companions do not help you study in the last minute becuz their format is kind of annoying :)

• 2 weeks later...
The study guide by Andrew Allott is amazing.

It has a great summary of each of the topics & covers all the assesement statements in required depth : )

Yeah. It really is.

I suggest you use the curriculum document and the study guide together and you'll be completely fine.

Edited by 1-2-3