ideological conflict as the cause of cold war

Bee =3

The fact that people say that ideological conflict was the cause of cold war is exaggerated. To what extent do you agree with this statement?

heyy
could you guys please help me with this question?
i'm stuck..
i've got basic ideas.. but not enough to write an essay about it..

thanks !

Bee

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly. The two arguably main viewpoints on the nature of the cold war are ideological and superpower conflict.
The question is basically asking you which one of these you agree with, and why.

Remember that if you take the ideological view, the Cold War begins when the ideological antagonisms begin, that is, in 1917, and end only when Soviet Russia as a Marxist state disappears, rather than in 1989 when Gorbachev claims that the war is over. But of course, since this stuff is completely open to debate, you can take your own views on those matters :( .

• 1 month later...

You need to look at the actions The USSR and the USA took and then see what they gained from it and the purpose of doing it in the first place. That will probably tell you quite much.

I think the answer is that ideology was only used as an exuse in order to get more power than the enemy, but you need to come up with yout own thesis.

Good Luck!

The policy of containment can either be looked at as a direct reply to Soviet communism, or it can be looked at as an exuse by the USA to invade other countries and in that way expand as part of the power battle between the superpowers.

I love studing The Cold War :D