How much money do you spend in your IB?

Jade KM

I wanted to ask this as I'm trying to get into IB through a scolarship (in a private school). The only public (state) school that offers IB near me is a little expensive and has a really high cut-off mark.

How did you get into IB?

Are you in a private or state school?

And how much do you spend in the programme? Or aren't you paying at all?

Here in Norway, all public schools are free for everyone. However for the IB, we have to pay the exam fee (or whatever that is, I never actually checked what the money is used for), which is NOK 5 000 per semester, so 5 000 * 4 = NOK 20 000 after 2 years, which is around 2360 dollars. My mother is paying for it and we both agree that it is a reasonable sum.

And how people get into the IB depends I guess :0 If you go to school in Norway, they accept you into the program based on the grades you got in tenth grade. The following info is perhaps specific to my school only: the IB here has limited spaces, but I think that the lowest points to get in was like 4.5 out 6.0, which is relatively easy (here in Norway, 6 is the maximum and they take the average of all the grades you got in all your subjects). But what's funny is that if you finished the MYP programme, or you apply to the school from another country, they don't seem require grades at all and accept you anyways (as long as they have proof that you know English and can handle math). But idk, it seems like IB is not that popular in Norway (at least in my city). Maybe because there's a rumour that it's a program for geniuses only/it's much harder than the normal norwegian program (which is not true) - so the competition is not as big. 

Edited by myjn

• 1 month later...

I am studying at a private IB school. Honestly, i feel that private IB schools are more expensive than public ones.But if you are planning to do IB, then you need to be financially prepared. The IB is very useful, challenging and also an expensive course. For the school that I attend, the tuition fee is around 11500$ an year. I think you can get the cost much lesser if you get in with a scholarship.

Good luck!

On 3/18/2017 at 0:50 PM, myjn said:

Here in Norway, all public schools are free for everyone. However for the IB, we have to pay the exam fee (or whatever that is, I never actually checked what the money is used for), which is NOK 5 000 per semester, so 5 000 * 4 = NOK 20 000 after 2 years, which is around 2360 dollars. My mother is paying for it and we both agree that it is a reasonable sum.

And how people get into the IB depends I guess :0 If you go to school in Norway, they accept you into the program based on the grades you got in tenth grade. The following info is perhaps specific to my school only: the IB here has limited spaces, but I think that the lowest points to get in was like 4.5 out 6.0, which is relatively easy (here in Norway, 6 is the maximum and they take the average of all the grades you got in all your subjects). But what's funny is that if you finished the MYP programme, or you apply to the school from another country, they don't seem require grades at all and accept you anyways (as long as they have proof that you know English and can handle math). But idk, it seems like IB is not that popular in Norway (at least in my city). Maybe because there's a rumour that it's a program for geniuses only/it's much harder than the normal norwegian program (which is not true) - so the competition is not as big. 

The IB fee is most likely to pay the examiners that will be marking your exams/assessments and to just fund the IBO :) 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 4:13 AM, Jade KM said:

How did you get into IB?

1. I filled out a form and got a couple teacher recommendations from my 8th-grade teachers to do pre-IB. In order to do IB, you just had to maintain a B average in the pre-IB classes.

2. I was at a public high school.

3. I think I paid a little more than half of the exams fees, so like 800 USD. (The rest was paid by my state's education department.) 

1. Applied to my school in year 9, got in, did IGCSEs and transitioned into IB. That was about it.

2. I attend a private school.

3. Well there are the school fees and the fees for the exams themselves as far as I know, so the two years will be ~25,000€. 

I was lucky enough to get into a school district that covers all costs for my IB program. I didn't have to pay anything to write the exams or for the tuition.However, I am in a public school here. The private school that offers IB in my province requires one to pay around $9000 for the diploma.

On 3/18/2017 at 1:13 AM, Jade KM said:

I wanted to ask this as I'm trying to get into IB through a scolarship (in a private school). The only public (state) school that offers IB near me is a little expensive and has a really high cut-off mark.

How did you get into IB?

All I had to do was apply and I got in (there weren't any entrance exams at my school or anything and anyone can take full IB literally) 

I went to public school 

I didn't need to pay for the IB program itself because the school covered it all (when I was in high school, I just paid my regular school fees and I think the only IB-related thing I had to pay for was a study guide which is optional anyways) 

In Norway, the IBDP is offered at several high schools, and due to the idea that education should be free (go Norway and its welfare system!), the government subsidizes each student, leaving him or her to pay less than $700 USD for each year, approximately. Of course, we have private schools as well, at which the entire fee must be paid by the student.

I go to a public high school where all I had to do was walk in and say "I want to be in the IB program." We pay about half of our exam fees, so it's $55/exam (USD) and the school board covers the rest. However, if we choose not to do an IA for a class or somehow don't show up on the day of the exam, we have to pay the school board back for the exam we didn't take. (I've never done that, but it's our policy). We have a pretty small IB program, about 40ish students per grade, because a lot of US universities don't do a lot of credit for IB classes and AP exams are cheaper ($45/exam).